engine hard to start

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm assuming a Walbro 813 or 997?
I'm assuming you have a primer bulb.

1. Turn on the electrics - connect battery, Tx on, Rx on.
2. Fill or 3/4 fill the primer bulb.
3. Check all electrical connections - better doing this first.
4. Check plug lead is well connected onto plug and plug is FIRMLY tightened - doesn't have to be 'vice tight'.
5. PUMP THE THROTTLE USING THE Tx 4 to 6 times.
6. TRY STARTING IT.

Al.

3. Check all electrical connections - better doing this first.
4. Check plug lead is well connected onto plug and plug is FIRMLY tightened - doesn't have to be 'vice tight'.
6. TRY STARTING IT.

Al.
Walbro 998 i have

see on red mark
the type are walbro 998

3. Check all electrical connections - better doing this first.(what to check please more details)
6. TRY STARTING IT.

Basic - just check coil and plug connections.
Do you have a kill switch?
If YES, then check all connections are good - no bad contacts.
Al.
can you write me more details about the coil...
the kill switch its new
*i can start the engine quick just with carburetor cleaner*

There's nothing more I can suggest without getting you confused!
1. Do you have a 'local hobby store' - perhaps where you bought it?
2. Check out YouTube 'how to tune' 2-stroke RC vehicles.
3. Check out the 20+ previous threads of a very similar nature on this forum.

You can consider:
1. Plug.
2. Plug gap.
3. Wiring.
4. Fuel tubing - kinked, broken, leaks, breather.
5. Clutch - free or binding?

Al.

if you have a chokeless carb that is not an 813 then the easiest and quickest way to start it is by holding your finger over the end of the exhaust pipe, pull it 3-4 times with throttle open to prime the cylinder...take yer finger off and pull again...it'll start every time....

pumping a 990, 998 or any other carb without an accelerator pump (only the 813 has a pump) doesn't do anything to get fuel in the cylinder...fuel only flows in these carbs when air is running thru the carb (ie whilst cranking it over)

when the motor is warm it'll start first pull without having to block the exhaust

these carbs are notoriously hard to start if you aren't familiar with them...before digging into other parts of your motor unnecessarily try the finger

Last edited:
I have a 990, all you do is pump the primer bulb 5-6 times, pull the engine over slow 2-3 times, than pull it faster to start, should start on first pull. mine does..

If you can start it on carb cleaner, fuel sounds like your problem. Are you sure you mixed it properly? Did you mix fuel that was already mixed? (dumb question but I have done it!) I'd try a fresh gallon of fuel to start!

have you had this problem from the start(new motor)? the reason I ask is if you had no problem starting in the beginning & do now it could be low primary compression(crank case preasure). runnig 40 to 1 is hard on the motor wears out the ring & piston fast. with low primary comp you can not pull the starter fast enough to get a good pulse to the carb diaphragm. you should be running 25 to 1 or at least 32 to 1. not only will your motor last longer but it has ben proven on a dyno more oil = more HP.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks