Engine really hard to pull

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoneRogue

Dear all,

Got my Baja out of my garage after a year of sitting. Pull starter was broken so ordered a new one. After installing I realised the engine was really hard to pull. Took it off and the casing to see if the coil was rubbing with the flywheel, no luck. After taking out the spark plug it is easy to turn over with it in seems to make this scratching noise. Attached pics of the engine, can't upload the video as the site won't let you. Anyone got any thoughts?

Thanks 👍

Attachments

• IMG_20230104_214227.jpg
    IMG_20230104_214227.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20230104_214236.jpg
    IMG_20230104_214236.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 21
So since you said your coil isn't contacting the flywheel it could be the bearings could be gummed up or seized, the rod bearing could be gummed or seized or the lack of lubrication in the cylinder, how you ran/abused the engine while it was running prior, how it was stored, what you did to store it like fogging the cylinder or flooding the case with oil, the environment it was stored in like if it was wet and humid.

The clutchbell could have rusted and the clutch is dragging, as the clutch is like brake pads and polishes the bell like sand paper so it's an unprotected surface that will rust.

To boot it looks like the cy engine so if it doesn't run it isn't the end of the world and it just means you can upgrade the engine to something better than what you remember.

Best of luck to you and let us know what you find. If I was you I'd keep taking it apart to find the source of the issue.

going by the pics of the plug hole and top of piston i'd say its just gummed up mate,
the scratching may just be normal sound you get when pulling the engine over,
strip it, clean it all up and rebuild, then see what happens (y),
upload vid to youtube then link to the forum via the add media icon on your posts (y),

Thanks for the responses, seems I need to rebuild the engine to fix it as it could be a number of reasons. Not sure if I have the expertise to do this so might send it off to a person in Southampton who does rebuilds, hope it wont cost an arm and a leg.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks