Exhaust manifold screw issue.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C5vette73

I'm installing a Bartolone XP pipe on my Losi 5T.

I noticed that one of the screws that goes into the engine exhaust manifold won't screw all the way in. As a result, I'm getting a leak of exhaust through the manifold.

Any ideas on how to get the screw to screw all the way in?

Thanks

If you have striped the head you will have to retap the head and use a bigger screw. Its easy to strip the head threads from screwing in and out alot. Thats why I like to always use the studs http://www.davesmotors.com/fd280_2.html so you can just leave them in always and chnage as many pipes that you would like.

The head on the screw seems to be fine. I think the problem is inside where the screw gets screwed in.

Not sure why that happened.

Looks like the product you recommended is based on a different mechanism that tightens the pipe with the nuts and not the screws themselves.

This might work.

Thanks

Right that is correct when I said head I meant the head of the engine that is the top of the engine part itself the threads on the inside are easy to srtip so with that being the case you either have to buy a new head and rebuild your top end or you can retap the engine head where the threads are striped you will have to use a bigger tap to get the treads back right so therefore you will have to use a bigger screw to tighten back down.

Right that is correct when I said head I meant the head of the engine that is the top of the engine part itself the threads on the inside are easy to srtip so with that being the case you either have to buy a new head and rebuild your top end or you can retap the engine head where the threads are striped you will have to use a bigger tap to get the treads back right so therefore you will have to use a bigger screw to tighten back down.

So retapping is screwing in a bigger screw?

Do you know what size screw I should use?

Thanks

No not a screw a tap is a drill bit that has thread on the outside for example http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-9...t-DWA1420/204787310?keyword=6mm+drill+and+tap so when you dill into the head it will make new threads then you can use a bigger screw. No I am not sure of the size because when it happened to me I just bought need ported heads and nevr used the screws again.

I'll try the studs you recommend.

I will get the one screw in the stripped hole as far down as I can and then use the nuts to tighten. Should be able to go in deep enough.

Worse case, I'll retap hole.

Thanks

Ok if it holds enough put some red locktite on the studs before you put them in let it dry for a full day then install the pipe you should have no problems at all if its just striped on the inside at the end.

If you use loctite make sure you use a high heat loctite as the way you get MOST loctite to let loose is to apply heat and I assure it gets hot at the exhaust port. I do not over size my holes if I do strip one I Helicoil it and puts it back to original size.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks