Failsafe problems, help/ advice required

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in a way lucky that it hit the park bench as it was a karge park and i don't think i would have seen it again if it had gone on its merry way, after checking the advertising for it i think im pretty much covered, it does clearly state that it is suitable for wet/muddy terrain, so if the say the fault was caused by water ingress then its mis-selling.

ps. How much are the "Magic Wiener Enlargement Pills" and do they work. lol

They are called "Extenze" Ron Jeremy supports them, but I don't really think he needs them... :lol: I myself have never tried them, I don't NEED them, hahahahaha

Price was one of those, "You have to call to get this incredible deal" situations. My I guess you could Google it?

Fail safes are a total waste of time on gas cars in my opinion. All they do, even when set up right, is give you a false sense of security that you won't have a runaway. Failsafes were invented to make AIRCRAFT come down in a predicable manner, so are irrelevant for our cars.

You can totally turn off the failsafe and fit a killswitch instead (in fact I reckon they should be a legal requirement!). Then, if ANYTHING goes wrong, as a worst case, you can turn off your transmitter and the engine will die. Whether the brakes come on or whatever doesn't matter by comparison.

Don't remember the kill switch applying the brakes !!
A combination of the 2 is required isn't it?
Failsafe - brakes to set amount and shuts down the engine to idle (if set-up and working correctly).
Kill switch - kills the engine.

Al.

Don't remember the kill switch applying the brakes !!
A combination of the 2 is required isn't it?
Failsafe - brakes to set amount and shuts down the engine to idle (if set-up and working correctly).
Kill switch - kills the engine.

Al.
Er no, actually. If the receiver loses power for any reason, the failsafe won't work, but the killswitch will.

If the radio is working, even without failsafe, just turn off the Tx for a moment and the killswitch kills off the engine - turn the Tx back on and work the steering & brakes however you want.

Lastly, a buggy with no power is going to slow down pretty quickly, and if it hits something it won't have an engine trying to bury the buggy in the obstacle.

I therefore repeat that a failsafe gives a false sense of security, and we would all be safer if we never relied on one.

Er no, actually. If the receiver loses power for any reason, the failsafe won't work, but the killswitch will.

If the radio is working, even without failsafe, just turn off the Tx for a moment and the killswitch kills off the engine - turn the Tx back on and work the steering & brakes however you want.

Fair enough comment, but you're on the right track with my thinking.
Agreed, if there's no battery power, the servo cannot be actuated to apply the brakes.

If there's a GLITCH of some description - Police radar, automatic doors, TV remote have been known to affect non 2.4 GHz radios - then the brakes will be applied by the failsafe.
3rd channel remote, or switch off the radio, with a remote kill switch will kill the engine - as will no power.

As I stated, I LIKE a combination of BOTH.

~18kg (my FG MT !!) at 60+ km/h is one hell of a lot of momentum.

Al.

Quick follow up on this, since i sent the blackout back, HPI have altered their web description of the blackout, it now says " The protective radio box helps keep the electronics safe in most conditions( note: radio box is not waterproof) would if they are going to try get out of replacing it????????

You should have just fixed it. You'd be done by now, now you are going to have to still buy all the parts to fix it But now you have to pay for the shipping too.

When something like this happens, just fix it and keep going. There really is no warranty in this hobby.

Wont have to pay for any of it, parts fixing or shipping, as i've said, in the UK we are covered by the sale of goods act, they have sold it as fit for use in the wet, and it clearly isnt and as such they have breached advertising laws, you cant boost sales by claiming a product will do something if it clearly wont

Well its good news, received a phone call yesterday saying that the throttle servo was fried due to water ingress, and as the original description of the maverick blackout stated that it was suitable for use in wet and muddy conditions then they have no option than to cover cost of repairs and parts and return shipping to me. Result!!!!!

You don't seem to understand my point... The company shouldn't warranty anything. You received a working model, the manufacturing company did their job. You took that working model and blasted it through water. You should have sence enough to know that electronics and water don't mix. I bet you wouldn't take your cell phone and toss it in the loo, even if it said it was waterproof, now would you?

So for them to replace your vehicle for free, it isn't really free... That cost gets put on the rest of the models and parts. So the next buyer is paying for your freebie that you destroyed and English law saved you the cost of a new model.

My point, if they made 100 models and could sell them for 100 each and make a small profit. (These are all small numbers to make the math simple for everyone)

25 of those models come back to be replaced free of charge, the company doesn't eat the loss, they raise the price on following models to recoup that loss. So now they have to charge 125 for the same vehicle, but now there is 25 extra to cover the loss and still maintain a profit. Another 10 come back for free replacement and the price goes up again... The price of the model and the replacement parts keeps going up until it becomes unaffordable to most buyers, like the 5b/t, or the company goes out of business because they can't recoup the losses from having to replace models.

If you buy a new car (1:1) and drive too fast into a puddle, the car hydroplanes across the water and total out your car, you don't go back to the dealership where you bought it and demand a replacement because of your mistake... They would laugh in your face!

If you buy a RTR it is your responsibility to go over the model and electronics carefully. If the motor starts and the servos work when you buy it, the manufactures job is done. What you do with it from there is your responsibility.

I had a similar problem with several Hitec servos, $600 worth. When they get wet they die. Yes, I too sent them in for repair, but the cost to repair was greater than the replacement cost. Did they warranty them? Hell no. Did I buy any more from them? Hell no. They too have a "Water resistant" slogan on the box... I didn't expect them to warranty them anyhow.

So your free replacement is going to cost the next guy in line. Which is one more reason why this hobby is so bloody expensive.

Common sense goes along way, I don't care what English law has to say, it was your fault, you should incur the cost of replacement.

honestly, if they say Water Resistant, or Water Proof, and make claims you ll be ok unless you submarining it, and you have failure due to water, thats a warrenty issue man.

You don't seem to understand my point... The company shouldn't warranty anything. You received a working model, the manufacturing company did their job. You took that working model and blasted it through water. You should have sence enough to know that electronics and water don't mix. I bet you wouldn't take your cell phone and toss it in the loo, even if it said it was waterproof, now would you?

So for them to replace your vehicle for free, it isn't really free... That cost gets put on the rest of the models and parts. So the next buyer is paying for your freebie that you destroyed and English law saved you the cost of a new model.

My point, if they made 100 models and could sell them for 100 each and make a small profit. (These are all small numbers to make the math simple for everyone)

25 of those models come back to be replaced free of charge, the company doesn't eat the loss, they raise the price on following models to recoup that loss. So now they have to charge 125 for the same vehicle, but now there is 25 extra to cover the loss and still maintain a profit. Another 10 come back for free replacement and the price goes up again... The price of the model and the replacement parts keeps going up until it becomes unaffordable to most buyers, like the 5b/t, or the company goes out of business because they can't recoup the losses from having to replace models.

If you buy a new car (1:1) and drive too fast into a puddle, the car hydroplanes across the water and total out your car, you don't go back to the dealership where you bought it and demand a replacement because of your mistake... They would laugh in your face!

If you buy a RTR it is your responsibility to go over the model and electronics carefully. If the motor starts and the servos work when you buy it, the manufactures job is done. What you do with it from there is your responsibility.

I had a similar problem with several Hitec servos, $600 worth. When they get wet they die. Yes, I too sent them in for repair, but the cost to repair was greater than the replacement cost. Did they warranty them? Hell no. Did I buy any more from them? Hell no. They too have a "Water resistant" slogan on the box... I didn't expect them to warranty them anyhow.

So your free replacement is going to cost the next guy in line. Which is one more reason why this hobby is so bloody expensive.

Common sense goes along way, I don't care what English law has to say, it was your fault, you should incur the cost of replacement.

Firstly i did not take a working model and "Blast" it through water, it was on a BMX track that had 2-3MM of surface water in certain areas, the product was described as suitable for use in wed and muddy conditions, and as such i expect it to be just that.

"If the motor starts and the servos work when you buy it, the manufactures job is done. What you do with it from there is your responsibility." So going by your logic, everyone who has bought a Toyota with faulty brakes should just accept it as they should have checked it when they bought it?, i think not.

"Common sense goes along way, I don't care what English law has to say, it was your fault, you should incur the cost of replacement" Nothing to do with common sense, and it wasnt my fault, they mis-sold the product, otherwise why have they now changed their advertising. The trading standards laws are in place to cover things like this.

"So your free replacement is going to cost the next guy in line. Which is one more reason why this hobby is so bloody expensive" I really don't care about the next guy, i paid the equivalent of $950 for this product so i expect it to do what it says, if this car had hit another persons child and injured them due to the servo being fried, when it went to court, which it would, then liability would rest firmly with HPI for mis-selling it as suitable for use in wet conditions.

I do get your point, but that it what warranty's are for, so that if a fault develops that occurs during expected use of the product then the suppliers are duty bound to repair or replace that product.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks