fg baja buggy shock oil WT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny

HI I WANT TO PUT A THICKER SHOCK OIL IN MY BAJA I SEE SOME WHERE THE STANDARD IS A 20WT SO I GOT SOME 35WT ITS THE PROPER PETROLEUM FORK OIL I GOT IT OFF EBAY AND ITS REALLY THIN IS THIS RIGHT FOR THIS WEIGHT I THOUGHT IT WOULD THICKER, IVE SINCE SEEN PEOPLE SAYING THEY USE 60WT, I don't WANT TO BUY SOME MORE AND ITS TO THIN I WIL THEN GET THE IM WASTEING MONEY TALK FROM MY WIFE (NEVER MIND THO) MANY THANKS FOR ANY HELP???:cool::cool:

For the fg baja I use fg 3000 wt in the front shocks and fg 2000 wt in the rears, this is what I was advised to use by a fg team driver ;) hope that helps mate ;)

;) If it ain't broke, bash it till it is ;)

thanks for advise,i will have a look at them wts,ive never really messed around with different oil wt it just puzzeld me when it said somewhere standard is 20wt so when i got a 35wt it was really,really thin,i thought god knows what the 20wt is like,(unless it ment 2000wt) once again thanks for your advise:cup-1:

I didn't understand either mate, I only use fg oils mate and the set up I use is ideal for bashin and racin ;)

Why do you want thicker oil though?

I didn't understand either mate, I only use fg oils mate and the set up I use is ideal for bashin and racin ;)

Why do you want thicker oil though?

wanted to start doing as bigger jumps as i can just thought that the thicker oil would help out :D,cheers ithink i will go for the set up like yours

Oil viscosity is a huge subject and one which will confuse the hell out of you if you dig deep enough...I left school and spent 10 years training to be a hydraulic engineer..Oil itself was hard to grasp..

as you have found FG numbers its oil in a different standard to car/bike manufacturers..this could be as it is tested using a different method and the scales are different or it could be that FG decided we will make our own scale for oils.

the easy answer is use FG oils as they have spent the money and the last year or a few developing the oils.

sadly its not cheap but it works so stick with it..

over the years I have tried loads of different oils and nothing compares to the correct RC oil..
hydraulic breaks down
engine oil thickens
fork oil is too thin..
veg/olive oil is good on chips:lol:
and grease is another subject again...

If I remember correctly(memory is not that great now) there is something like 6 international standards for oil thickness and hundreds of others that don't really fall into and standards...not sure where FG falls...

last oil I used was a bottle of 40 weight silicon oil from schumacher or losi . due to it being in my box.
hope this helps and hasnt become a rant...lol

Last edited:
thanks for that info yes its hard to get your head around different types of oil any advise is a great help thanks(i cant see the thanks word in the right hand corner any more else i would click thanks aswell on that for you it seems to have vanished on a lot of my replys i got back??????????????)

IF your shock are the red FG type........

Fil you shock 3/4 full of oil and work the piston up and down for a few seconds then with the piston all the way to the bottom - let the shocker rest (upright) while the bubbles disperse then top up the oil. Take the top hat and a cloth the gently push the top hat into the shock and wipe off the excess. Screw your top back on and this should be almost spot on.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks