fg baja buggy top end gear ratio

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny

hi,ive got fg baja buggy running a 29cc race ported motor,ive been running a 20/44 gear ratio and have changed to a 23/40, top end is fantastic but want more can anyone tell me what other ratios would make it even faster, i have found a 38 tooth plastic gear but don't know weather my 23 tooth pinion gear will mesh or do i have to change that (i have a 52mm gear carrier on this will that fit the 38 teeth gear ????)many thanks for any help:):):)

if you got 38, you need a 26 tooth pinion. just remember thats another big jump, if the baja has 16 lay and 48 diff then this is the ratio ive used,but need plenty of space,with fg baja wheels you should reach mid 70's maybe 80mph,because at 50 to 60mph, they expand and give you even more speed due to having bigger circumference. from what ive seen,i wouldnt trust fg baja wheels over 70mph, your bottom end will lag,only good for speed runs,not bashing. just try not to crash.

last time i used the marder i tried 22/42 with fg baja wheels, got 64mph, and 38/26 is quite a jump.
i don't think the 38 t gear will fit 52mm carrier but not 100%, might be 50,mm but don't quote me on that.

Last edited:
:)many thanks hyper 78 to your reply to my question i will look into it and give it a try and put an update on in a while once again thanks for takeing time to reply

:)many thanks hyper 78 to your reply to my question i will look into it and give it a try and put an update on in a while once again thanks for takeing time to reply
just a quick question, where do you run your baja,what do you run on,grass,sand,tarmac? what pipe and wheels do you use?
do you mostly bash or wot speed runs? all this determins what ratio to use.
when you get so far,taller ratios will reduce the top speed.22/42 is an overall great combo for acceleration and top end,everything over that is mostly topend.unless you got a twin or 50cc lol.
my marder/baja can pull 22/42 on grass,anything taller isnt worth it,but on tarmac can pull 26/38.if i tried 26/38 on grass,it wont pull into the pipes power band and will loose alot of speed,and still have no bottom end.im finally finding the limits of what this engine and pipe can pull.
just remember,the tall gears will put alot of stress on the clutch,bell. i ended up snapping mine after a few runs at weekend.
this is the ratio you are going to use,great top end,the bottom end isnt as bad as most people think for a single speed ratio that tops at 68mph with a topend pipe.this is with fg marder size wheels, i tried the fg baja wheels with these gears and the lag was bad!!!! so if you use the bigger heavier fg baja wheels,i wouldnt gear it so high.i wouldnt really bash with these gears,too tall

you should be hitting high speeds with the baja wheels and 23/40 ,like i said with fg baja wheels i got 64mph, so with the gears you already have you should be seeing 70mph,if not there is something wrong,either the tuning or you don't have the power to pull it. really you need a speed gun or gps.ive noticed my baja wheels expand at around 55mph,are you seeing your tyres expand

a tip if you run on tarmac,you want the smallest wheels(less rotaional mass and unsprung weight) and tallest gears your setup can pull. so fg touring car wheels like grp's and the taller gears you are talking about,but even then you will have to change the layshaft to get high speeds due to the smaller wheels.
big heavy wheels don't help,only when they balloon. don't compensate for tall gears by using big wheels,because a higher ratio gear probably weighs a few ounces more ,whereas the big wheels weigh loads! if you do use tyres that expand alot,try finding a ratio that lets the tyres expand while you hit the power of the pipe ,then you get a huge increase of speed and helps the car accelerate better within a certain space.good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
once again thanks to hyper 7 for huge advice, i run the car on a huge playing field with really short grass, i stole my sons marder wheels and have done about 30 mins fast runs with them, my origanal baja wheels are now back on ready for there run with the 23/40 combo on,trying it with your previous advice about bigger circumference, a bit more info on the car its got the 23/40 gear ratio, 29cc race ported oneil brothers race engine,twin boost bottles k+n air filter not sure what size and number of carb is it all came as a package from america(no choke on it)and its running with a jetpro exhaust,:cup-1: im yet to try it on tarmac had a quick go in the street where i live but soon give that up its so quick,your bit about your clutch you said, on the last run my clutch spring did snap got new one now tho,i will run it with the baja wheels on this weekend and watch for expanding,i think i will go as far as trying a 28/38 and leave it at that,the car is really really quick still at the ratio its at now the acceleration is still very good that surpriesd me i thought i would loose a lot of acceleration but didnt,thanks again for your help and advise ive only just joined this forum its nice to know there is people willing to take the time to help,thanks

once again thanks to hyper 7 for huge advice, i run the car on a huge playing field with really short grass, i stole my sons marder wheels and have done about 30 mins fast runs with them, my origanal baja wheels are now back on ready for there run with the 23/40 combo on,trying it with your previous advice about bigger circumference, a bit more info on the car its got the 23/40 gear ratio, 29cc race ported oneil brothers race engine,twin boost bottles k+n air filter not sure what size and number of carb is it all came as a package from america(no choke on it)and its running with a jetpro exhaust,:cup-1: im yet to try it on tarmac had a quick go in the street where i live but soon give that up its so quick,your bit about your clutch you said, on the last run my clutch spring did snap got new one now tho,i will run it with the baja wheels on this weekend and watch for expanding,i think i will go as far as trying a 28/38 and leave it at that,the car is really really quick still at the ratio its at now the acceleration is still very good that surpriesd me i thought i would loose a lot of acceleration but didnt,thanks again for your help and advise ive only just joined this forum its nice to know there is people willing to take the time to help,thanks
ok,use a 8k or 9.5k spring,help you get off the line. just go test what youve got and then you will know what ratio is best for the place you take it. im using a ddm 9.5k spring at the moment,but think its just the same as the 8k.
also,tgn do a 9.5k spring that is supposidly better than the ddm version...im not paying £20 tho' lol.
just have fun ,i guess.

you can turn the shoes round on the clutches as well to get a better bite theres a thread on here somewere i have treid it and it works well,but now i run a oddie clutch in one and a fg adjustable in the other

you can turn the shoes round on the clutches as well to get a better bite theres a thread on here somewere i have treid it and it works well,but now i run a oddie clutch in one and a fg adjustable in the other
thats interesting its little things like that i hope to learn with these large scale models thanks:w00t:

can you change the gear that's on the diff?

Yes Mike, we change the ring gear on the diff to a smaller gear and increase the size pinion on the layshaft that turns the diff.

Stock diff gear is a 48.
We use 46,45,44 and sometimes even lower, but over gearing produces a bad set up for drag racing.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks