fg build thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharkey

figured id start a build thread instead of putting pics up at random.

this is my fg sportline, i bought it used as a rolling chassis. tires are well worn and the body was at one time fitted to a baja. it had dual shocks on each corner and FG MT control arms and mt shock towers. for the price, i couldnt pass it up as it came with the servos, tuned pipe, new fuel tank, and had a box of parts that included brand new control arms, front swaybar, and a front disc brake kit.

16358_1258475615344_1033255980_812412_3682443_n.jpg

16358_1258475655345_1033255980_812413_5092947_n.jpg

16358_1258475735347_1033255980_812415_6550809_n.jpg

the front control arms are now swapped out with duratrax firehammer ones, im just waiting for the turnbuckles. the front disc brakes are installed, along with the shorter firehammer shock towers.
15941_1259191993253_1033255980_815281_4343000_n.jpg

15941_1259192073255_1033255980_815283_880979_n.jpg

15941_1259192153257_1033255980_815285_6309290_n.jpg

im not really sure on how correct everything is, im trying to make things work as best i can figure out. not being able to read german and having a lack of good pics of what im working on (not to mention mixing and matching fg and duratrax) makes things a bit difficult, but everything seems to be working out ok.

i have a duratrax engine mount set on order, and bought a new hpi fuelie 26 from e-bay. as the motor isnt ideal for the car being 26cc, the price was right, and if anything having the extra torque will teach me throttle control (i find too much power is the best way to learn lol). im going to order a clutch tomorow, aside from that i should have everything i need to get the car running and driving. new tires and a body will be after christmas, along with a 3rd channel kill switch/fail safe.

if you get stuck any where:clown:take a look at my thread on here ......

my FG SWIFT:) you have a lot of work in front of ya but it will be worth the

effort

those are pegasus beadlock wheels. i was doing some research on tires and everything was talking about pre-glued, i started looking closly at the wheels and noticed the screws so i pulled one apart and discovered they are a beadlock. id like to find tires to fit them, however i haven't been able to find any info. im guessing that they are their own breed of tires/wheels and i cant get use these wheels with any other brand of tires. anyone have some solid info on what works or doesn't work with them???

i do have a bunch or work, but thats the fun of the hobby. honestly, i enjoy working in the garage as much as i like running em.

normal fg tires will fit those rims. give george an email, he should have some unmounted tires for you.. or drop Allen on rcp a pm. he has about 6 sets of tires and a car that hasn't run in the year he has owned it..

Nice purchase. The chassis looks like its in great condition. The body, not so much, but you said your getting a new one anyways.

Chris

my motor showed up today. i was rather excited, however that was short lived. i found out that the large mount and gear plate in the car is actualy offroad stuff, so its designed to vertically mount the motor. far from ideal in an onroad, although i could make it work. the biggest issues i run into is the tuned pipe wont work out that well and i doubt it would fit under any onroad body.

so back to square 1, trying to find a north american site that has all the stuff i need in stock

they have the large mount in stock, the gear plate and small mount arent in stock. they do have an alternate gear plate, however i will need the bolt on caliper.

looks like im going to have to order parts from a few different places to get everything. add that to none of the suppliers have the air filter set and a kill switch, so i have to put an order in with ddm. i do have one other online shop to hear back from (advance hobbies in ontario canada).

well with some help i think i have my issues solved, most of my frustration was just plain not knowing what im dealing with. i thought the difference between a vertical and laydown motor setup was all in the large and small mounts and the gear plate. i was unaware that FG used their own clutch housing for the laydown motor setup. once i got that through my head, its actualy just a clutch housing and small mount i need, although im working on modifying the cy clutch housing to work.

I think I learn about these differences everytime I look at the part numbers and go searching to see what I need lol

it's good you have something to work with. and my beetle will be run on road with the motor up, pipe up and a fibreglass shell.... the redcat is totally straight up too. it's not optimum but for us? LOL we are in public places doing on road but the offroad track we do one handed driving (beer in the other).. it's private land so no worries there.

i have my mounting issues mostly sorted. i was able to modify a cy/zenoah clutch housing to work in the fg. it was actually quite simple. by rotating the clutch housing on the motor i was able to use 2 bolt opposing bolt holes.
12654_1267840169452_1033255980_842037_71277_n.jpg

i made 2 relocation tabs to bolt to the block and had holes drilled and tapped to line up with the other holes in the clutch housing. the motor now sits in the correct position, and it was much quicker than ordering an fg clutch housing.

so the motor is now in the car, however its temporary as im still waiting for my clutch and small mount. i have built my linkages, although im not too happy with the rear brake linkage, it tends to bend a lot, may have to go to some thicker rod (im using 0.055").

12654_1267840209453_1033255980_842038_5082386_n.jpg

12654_1267840249454_1033255980_842039_6607079_n.jpg

12654_1267840289455_1033255980_842040_6016929_n.jpg

12654_1267840329456_1033255980_842041_1391289_n.jpg

i have also fitted a traxxas receiver box, added the switch into it. it works alright, keeps everything tidy, although i don't know if ill have room for a kill switch in it that i have yet to order. also need to order a velocity stack and air filter.

turns out the stuff i orderd locally (clutch and small mount) just shipped a couple days ago, so it'll be mid to late next week before i get it. however the guys at the hobby shop said they know everything i ordered is in that box. i have learned though, for stuff that my lhs doesn't normally have or can get, to not even bother. its been almost 3 weeks now, the last stuff i got shipped from the US took 12 days (from tower hobbies) and 7 days (my motor from e-bay seller). its just quicker and easier to order it myself.

that being said i did some black friday shopping at innovative hobby. i now have a modified pico switch/failsafe, air filter and velocity stack, piston stop tool, a cy gasket set, copper exhaust gasket and a screw set for a baja on their way. everything but the gaskets were on sale for black friday, all wicked deals. hoping to have the thing running before christmas. i have no doubt it'll be done but however the weather has to co-operate with me to get some play time in.

Awesome. those black friday deals were just too good. I have to go deposit more money in the bank to cover the paypal coming out lol. I'll just pop the k&n filter on my rally then. I have a black outerwears to go over it anyway.

I hear ya on ordering parts. and even if they order the wrong stuff they make you take it anyway or they won't order any more stuff in for you ;) . Once we show we have enough rc's in this class to make it economically feasible for a shop to stock maybe, but it's just easier to order direct from one of the USA suppliers (My DDM order was 11 days as well)

I was supposed to hit that indoor race near your place but I just woke up. not worth packing up and driving out for 2 hrs now. bajagord is going to be pissed lol. oh well. I can't do 3 hrs sleep 2 days in a row.

I should be able to swing by your shop this week with those parts. or meet up in langley if you aren't working

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks