FG Monster or MCD Monster

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are both very different, I bought a FG they are more popular parts are easier to get, and can be converted to 4x4. I don't have a MCD, but they definetly weigh more. I think MCD is grossly overpriced, and most if not all people will agree with me on that.
Hope that helps.

I am in the US. I am more interested in a 4x4. I heard that FG is coming out with a 4x4 soon. Is that true? As far as price range I'm willing to pay whatever it takes to get myself a badass truck.

I would suggest an MCD then. Versatility is one of the great things about the MCD's. Last weekend I fitted small wheels and went with gear ratio number 5 and whipped it around the 1/4 scale speedway track, then next day put the MT wheels back on and gear ratio number 1 and conquered dirt piles no 2wd would ever get over.

4x4 gives you much better traction than 2x4 but they are more complex and are heavier. The 4x4's added drag from turning the extra parts to drive the front wheels will make it slower that a 2x4 if the engines and gearing are close to the same in both cars. Just like a real truck. Pop it into 4 wheel and you can feel the power loss but the traction is much better. I personally have had five 2 wheel drive gassers and now I'm looking to get into the 4x4 seen. I want the traction advantage. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Jeepfreak... well written post.

IMO I agree with the above 100%... why do rally cars have all wheel drive? better traction, makes sense as they are driving on poor / low traction surfaces most of the time.

Con's
4X4 adds weight, requires more power due to driveline losses and has increased maintenance as there are more gears, 2 diffs (sometimes a center diff) etc.

Pro's
On slippery surfaces it is night and day between 2wd... so much better and easier to drive.

It's up to you and what you expect out of a car... Me, personally I would go with the MCD anyday over some of the other cheaper alternatives if I was going down the 4X4 road.

After haveing the Losi LST, Muggy that are 4x4 I was disappointed in my FG Stadium being 2x4. But after making some mods to it i really like the FG now and I am thinking of getting the HPI 5B also. I had no traction on my Stadium so I bought the MT tires, and now I have alot of traction and it's still lighter, and faster then the 4x4.

i run the mcd's there by far a great 4x4. i bought the titan when it first came out and had alot of problems. mcd is big bucks but woth it. go with the best and enjoy.

Yeah the Titan doesn't come anywhere near an MCD for quality, design and durability. I own both. If you cant afford an MCD then get the Titan, it has some issues, some are easily rectified others really need factory hotup or aftermarket parts to solve properly.

I am in the US. I am more interested in a 4x4. I heard that FG is coming out with a 4x4 soon. Is that true? As far as price range I'm willing to pay whatever it takes to get myself a badass truck

Fg has their 4x4 MT competition(Alloy version) coming out in June its a belt drive though.

Angled 4mm alloy chassis, belt drive, casings to cover the belt, alloy differential gear at front and rear axle with hardened bevel gearwheels, alloy front axle housing, rear alloy axle mounts and alloy wishbones at front and rear axle, alloy ball joints, adjustable right/left thread rods at the track rods and at the front and rear wishbones, front alloy uprights, gearwheels made of case-hardened steel, rear FG ball drive, front FG ball drive with cardan joints, adjustable alloy servo saver, 4 large-volume oil-pressure shock absorbers, hydr. disk brake or respectively mech. Tuning disk brake at the front and rear wheels, 26ccm combustion engine, alloy engine mounts, 3-unit Tuning pipe, ready-for-use oiled OR air filter, rc plate, receiver box

You can order them here http://www.fgsupply.com/Monster_Off_Road_Models-Comp_Monster_Truck_4WD_mech_Tuningbrake_clear-.html

$3000 for calble version
$3500 for the hydro

Last edited:
Thats pretty rich, an rtr MCD Monster truck from largescalerc is only $2278 (or $2120 for the baja truck) and omes with a 29cc CY engine which leaves $700 to $900 dollars at least for hop ups and as discussed in other threads MCD don't need all that alloy and have the best braking system in large scale so no need for hydros or cables, the MCD outbrakes them all.

I find it strange how people can justify (and advertise) a $3500 comp FG but think a $2200 MCD is overpriced.... I think some people just can't stand to see an innovative company like MCD set a standard for 1/5 scale shaft driven 4x4, they would rather tout an older out of date FG design that so obviously doesn't work as its been on the drawing board for too many years now and still revolves around a belt drive system that WILL fail quicker than a shaft drive on offroad applications.

Never said a $2200 MCD is over priced:no:....... I said the MCD 4x4 plastic running chasis for $1500 is over priced:phone: MCD should just include the engine as part of your purchase...my 2 cents

This Guy stated price was no object for a kickass truck
A all alloy FG Truck is KICK ASS .......:donatello:

This is my almost All alloy MT.

Om31757.jpg

Vt56257.jpg

Bz79473.jpg

Ki18383.jpg

Tr49690.jpg

Last edited:
Thats pretty rich, an rtr MCD Monster truck from largescalerc is only $2278 (or $2120 for the baja truck) and omes with a 29cc CY engine which leaves $700 to $900 dollars at least for hop ups and as discussed in other threads MCD don't need all that alloy and have the best braking system in large scale so no need for hydros or cables, the MCD outbrakes them all.

I find it strange how people can justify (and advertise) a $3500 comp FG but think a $2200 MCD is overpriced.... I think some people just can't stand to see an innovative company like MCD set a standard for 1/5 scale shaft driven 4x4, they would rather tout an older out of date FG design that so obviously doesn't work as its been on the drawing board for too many years now and still revolves around a belt drive system that WILL fail quicker than a shaft drive on offroad applications.

That was almost poetry:) so quoted it here for all to read again.:clown:

That blinged up truck above doesn't look like its ever been run, I like to use my gear not polish them and take photos but thats just me.

Last edited:
Thats my bling truck :)this is my bashing FG MT and Firehammer:nono:
That blinged up truck above doesn't look like its ever been run, I like to use my gear not polish them and take photos but thats just me.
I drive what I own too SOOOO its not just you:lol:
I have built alot of FG 1/5 car and trucks from the ground up

Ig11813.jpg

Ig12332.jpg

..........................My on Road builds I like alloy and carbon.....................

Mk27695.jpg

Vt58292.jpg

Last edited:
nice cars hellya, still can't work out your logic on the 4x4 thing - maybe MCD should make it all alloy and sell it for $4000 - this might get you in, but I guess one mans trash is another mans treasure...

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks