FG MT will not stay running and has a high idle???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cycleoneoff

I was running it for about 20 min and opened it up for about 20 yards and noticed it was stating to bog and then it just died out. I immediately tried to restart it and it would not unless I put the choke on. I did notice that there was a lot of pressure in the tank. I've adjusted the carb to Low jet counter-clockwise to 1 and 1/4 turns open and high jet counter-clockwise to approx 1 and 3/8 turns open. I check the fuel filter and it was clean. The plug is perfect and it seems to have plenty of compression. Any help would be great.

1. I have to put the choke on to start even after its warmed up.
  2. When I turn off the choke the engine will run at a high idle for about 20 sec and die out.
  3. If I gas it it will bog and die out right out.
    I checked for a air leak and found after it dies out if I spray starting fluid in the manifold area it will fire up for a second or two. I found the head gasket 7306/8 is ripped and pop out.

Last edited:
check your gas tank vent hole. it may be plugged up. your tank should be vented 100% of the time so no pressure builds up in the tank.
look for cracks/splits in the fuel line. maybe a loose connection on the clunk in the tank or on the carb/fuel line nipple.

sounds like you are either vapor locking a bit (getting so hot, its vaporizing the fuel in the carb, and not in the crank case, or a fuel supply problem, maybe bad gas lines, split in the line, plugged cap vent ect...

check your cylinder bolts to see they are tightened up, they do come loose and it will cause issues like you are currently experienceing as well.

yep. that ll do it for sure.

now the ? is, and im not expecting you to answer, but keep this in the back of your mind for future referance, is did the gasket blow out, or did the cylinder bolts get loose, allowing the gasket to be blown out?

Well I put a new gasket in and cleaned everything up nice. Now I cant get it to fire up. I thought might be flooded but I turned it upside down and nothing came out. I have great spark but I wanted to replace the plug anyway. I drove around to a few places to find a new plug but no one has one around here.

have you checked your coil gap? did you take the coil off the cylinder at all?

i would think your right in thinking its flooded, and just becuz you got nothing out doesn't mean its NOT flooded. if you get fuel flowing out its VERY flooded.

I took it all apart and it was very fooded. I bought a new pug and I did gap the coil. I still have nothing. Im just about ready to buy a new engine..

ok, when you intalled the carb manifold, and the gaskets, did you be sure the pulse port hole from the cylinder wasnt blocked off by one of the gaskets (bottom of the intake port you ll see a small 1-2mm hole, thats the pulse port hole) ? if it is blocked, it will continually suck in fuel, even when it doesn't need more.

i would check that the pulse hole is open and not blocked off or plugged up.

I checked it out and cleaned everything up again. Nothing..... I'm using my cordless drill to crank it and nothing at all. I don't know what to think. In the mean time I went ahead and ordered a new 28.5cc GP290 engine. But I have to figure this problem still.

you in NY Or Mi Cycle? if you want, send me the motor, and i ll gladly go thru it and see what i can find out for you. all it ll cost is to cover the shipping back to ya.

This is from the DDM site.

• How should I break-in my Zenoah or Chung Yang RC-style engine?

Zenoah RC-style engines and clones are tuned for high performance and need to be well taken care of. Breaking-in an engine is a process of alternately heating and cooling the engine to allow all parts to properly seat themselves, and allowing 2-stroke oil from the incoming fuel to coat the interior of the engine. DDM recommends the following break-in procedure:
Use 91 octane or higher fuel, mixed 25:1 with a quality non-synthetic 2-stroke oil. (You can use synthetic oil for break-in also. Just run slightly more fuel through the engine. ) Run the engine at varying speeds for periods of 3 to 10 minutes at a time. During this break-in time, NEVER go full throttle. Always let the engine idle for 30 seconds before turning it off. Allow the engine to cool off for 10 minutes before starting it again. Repeat this process 3 or 4 times - 3 or 4 full "heat cycles".
After the break-in period, switch to a high-quality synthetic 2-stroke oil, mixed at 25:1. Be sure to let the engine idle for 30 seconds to cool before stopping. Be sure to follow the maintenance schedule included in your engine owners manual.

Have you tried to contact Duratrax? If you bough the FH MT from Tower Hobbies, the engine have a 3 years warenty. Duratrax customer service is awsome. Especialy if you buy it from Tower.

I would try to call them, they might send you an engine for a spair.

A friends engine did the same as yours, turns out the spark was being extinguished due to the compression of the engine, a new coil unit and it was fine! :)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks