FG On Road Identification

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoBig

Hi guys,

I'm new to large scale RC and was hoping to get some help from people that have been in his hobby for a while.

I purchased my first fifth scale (the Rampage MT) and was hooked. Sold the little stuff and I just traded one for what I believe is a FG Porsche. So I have a few pictures here to help I.D. this car.

I did notice a few things I thought where odd. The front clip is kicked up in the front and the lower a arm hits the chassis plate in full droop. I adjust the limiter screw so it hits the bulkhead at the same time to relieve some of the stress.

The shocks are friction only

The differential seems pretty open but im not sure how much posi action I might want in a Rwd car. Any suggestions on diff oil weight would be nice.

I did like it came with a Zenoah as I just put the G320RC in my Rampage MT and its a great motor that starts easy and has plenty of power for the heavy truck. The G230RC1 Im hoping is a good motor for this Porsche. It does feel like it has good compression, but the carb is definetly all jacked up. I have a spare walbro 990 I thought of using for now.
photo%203_zpswbwrlobr.jpg

I will be making a purchase list just to get it going. I also need to repair the body a bit in the front. reglue a tire, carb gasket, air filter, killer bee kill switch, receiver battery etc. But my concern is what are some good part sources for this car. I am in the U.S.. Also I look forward to any suggestions you might have. and if anyone knows how old this car might be or her engine.

photo%201_zpsapsuj4or.jpg
photo%202_zps3bbkvfxx.jpg

Thanks for any and all suggestions in advance!!!

After some hours of searching and confirming I figured out its a Sportline model. Or at least I think. Im not sure if front brakes are on it when new or not but they are missing. So that will be added to the purchase list.

If anyone can recommend a diff. oil weight I should start with that would be awesome. I'm only looking to make this a parking lot basher if that matters.

I also adjusted the hubs,,, and the steering was not moving freely, wheels didn't spin free. And gave it an overall cleaning. and now I think I know where Im going here at least. I cant find any signs of wear in the driveline which is pretty cool. So I'm gonna make the carb gasket and start her up on the workbench.

fg%20motorsports_zpscifbq9jl.jpg

I'm guessing it must be a very old one!
I've no recollection of any FG having 'friction' dampers - that's what NewBright and very basic Tamiya models have - the ones I've had have always had oil dampers.
Photos look genuine enough.
Diff oil - if its the basic one, it may be grease only.

Option parts?
Check out Hobbythek's site in Germany - excellent reference source - spend an hour or so and you'll get LOADS of ideas. ...
then ...
See if you can locate them on Fleabay - they're very robust and with routine maintenance can last a long time.

Al.

I had one just like that except it was the longer wheelbase. I did some research and it appears that's some of the newer sports line parts will fit. You just have to be careful and make sure that the parts cross over . There's a German site rc-car online.de that has great service and are very helpful. Not sure I gave you the proper address so just google it and there's a English translation bottom on the right hand corner of the site.

What you have is a very early model and I believe there was a model between your car and today's car. That in between car which isn't made anymore along with yours has the same engine mounts and odds and ends. My point being just make sure the part works before buying it as it sucks to get something from Germany only to find out it won't work with your car. Or there's eBay which has tons of parts you just have to know where to look..

I'm guessing it must be a very old one!
I've no recollection of any FG having 'friction' dampers - that's what NewBright and very basic Tamiya models have - the ones I've had have always had oil dampers.
Photos look genuine enough.
Diff oil - if its the basic one, it may be grease only.

Option parts?
Check out Hobbythek's site in Germany - excellent reference source - spend an hour or so and you'll get LOADS of ideas. ...
then ...
See if you can locate them on Fleabay - they're very robust and with routine maintenance can last a long time.

Al.

Yes I thought the friction dampers where very odd also. I'm a huge fan Tamiya and that is the only place I've seen them also. I guess I'll be looking into oil dampers soon if I feel I need them after I get it on a paved surface.
I have feeling its basic as you mentioned. Did all these come with the front brakes or was that an option?
I'll take out the diff tonight and check to see whats what.
Thanks for the input....I'll be checkin those sites too!

So before I started digging any further into the car I thought I'd try to start it on the bench. No luck,,,,not even a sputter. I cleaned up the carb,,fuel pump through the lines...it has spark. I mean this should start but nothing. Any ideas?

Oh yea the site I mentioned has PDFs docs with exploded views of your car.

Awesome! I'll be looking into that site as well. Really interested in those pdfs as well. Although the car is very basic and easy for me I'm just having a bit of trouble getting it started before I start dumping money. Not that I wont It would just be nice to not have to spend the money on a motor just yet when this one seems to have good compression.

Also I'd like to mention after looking it over there seems to be no wear at all. Like when it was bought they just didn't run it much. the dog bones diff cups, gears nothing worn.

So I still cant get this engine running so I removed the carb and manifold and found this to be a bit strange. If you look at the picture you can see there are two holes in the carb (I forget what those two smaller holes are for) two in the manifold but only one at the engine head. Is this normal?

manifold_zpsspwgm93c.jpg

yes mate that's normal its the pulse port that's what drives the pump in carb

car looks to me like a very early eco line pre sportsline 465mm wheelbase but not the mono shock version ive seen the shocks before I think I would bin those off in favour of some newer oil filled ones all in all though a nice project you have

cant beat the 230 zen for spares power or revs great engine perfect for on road check the inlet manifold they do warp due to heat [just had mine let go was proper bent]check the gaskets and carb settings I run 32/1 mix your 990 carb will work very well with the little 23cc

if you want to see how far you can go with a basic ecoline/sportsline car then you should check out my thread https://www.largescaleforums.com/showthread.php?t=15314 belive it or not this once was a sportsline

one more thing the best upgrade you can do is new rubber the new grp tryes are just awesome keep the fg slicks for the shelf

Last edited:
As of now I have completely torn down the car and cleaned oiled reassembled.engine was also cleaned out and I ordered the aluminum manifold, wt990 rebuild kit and a header gasket,,,one of the side body posts was missing so I got that. DDM had everything I needed for this step.

G230RC_zps4xeg3nxk.jpg

Porsche%20tear%20down_zpsdraphztw.jpg

for now I just cleaned out the diff and greased it up. I wanna see how it is the way I got it and then upgrade along the way while enjoying it.

fg%20window%20screens_zpsnixg7uao.jpg

As for the body that I think its butt ugly and has holes cut, cracked front bumper and and,,,I don't have money for a new one right now so I starting doin what I can.
I used that shoe goo and dry wall tape to repair the front bumper and then decided to screen the windows and the rear hole..(place for heat to escape? IDK).
Also gonna reinforce the side panels with the dry wall tape.

I did what I could for the body over the weekend and I think it looks better than before.

As for the no start problem. I took a ride to the lawn mower repair dude and he thinks its low compression. Back to the internet for a new top end I guess. I'll be using the WT990 carb.

Any suggestions on a top end?

The head itself does not appear to have any scoring on the cylinder walls,,,very smooth. I was wondering if I might be able to get away with just a new ring...any thoughts?

FG%20Porsche%20Back%20in%20Black_zpsegcjbmjb.jpg

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks