FG Ready for Monster Jam

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Hummer body won't last long, one shot to the roof or back bumper and it will split! The Beetle and F150 bodies are a lot stronger... My Ex blew her Hummer body out the first time she ran it. One flip and the rear bumper caught a patch of grass and ripped it right to the roof. I would get another body and keep the Hummer as your "Show" body.

You can do whatever you want, but taking a truck with 1 inch of suspension travel and slamming it from 25 feet in the air is ludicrous. ...Blown shock caps, bent $125 chassis plate, broken a-arms, trashed tie rods and steering servo, steering knuckles, etc...

Have fun and post pics and vids!

Last edited:
I would swap the body and tires. You would need to swap out the gearing unless you want a bit more speed with the MT tires vs stadium tires. Ya, crazy!!

In that video. Nothing broke. I kid you not. He runs custom CNC'd A arms which take all the stress. We think a lot of the suspension is in the MT tires.

I have already cracked the hummer body badly. You cant see the cracks but they are there. Result of going off a jump and landing on the shell..... I gorilla taped it to hold it together, temporarily... LOL. Once it goes I'm getting the FG body. Money isnt my strong suit, Im only 20. Constantly checking eBay for a used set of wheels, I did find them once but blew it right in the end, didnt bid in time. The went for 60$ for all 4, I was pissed.

Last edited:
I would've been pissed too! If you do find wheels on Ebay, be sure they are genuine FG tires and wheels, some of the :chinese: stuff looks similar, but won't have the FG strength...

i know some fella's who do that no limits RC, they did the monster jam shows here in the UK... utter nut balls they are!!! those poor models, they took a right beating, and doing monster jumps as it glides helplessly through the air you're waiting for it to land and smash into tiny pieces. saw a 5B bite the dust and a nitro truggy after being launched off a huge jump the actual jam trucks use... the crowd cheered yet the drivers didn't seem at all bothered, i'd have been on my knees in tears!! lol... then i found out that they get their parts free, ha!

the one hobby shop near me used to have a group do the monster jam thing, never any large scales, mostly savages and tmaxxs and some stadium truck. as the guys said, when the crowd is cheering and the adrenaline flowing you don't care that its broken, you want to tie it back together for more. now the next day when you strip it apart to fix it is another story...

Buying replacement parts for a Savage is cheap compared to the FG prices, although I never could hurt my Savage from big jumps and whatnot, I just blew diffs... Twin Thunder-Tiger .90's do that though...

a stock .21bb in a savage can blow diff, its all in the driver. although with the new 4 spider diffs, aluminum cups and bullet proof ring gear, i haven't heard of a single diff failure, not even from the guy running twin drag ported picco .28s.

i have to agree, its pricey fixing 1/5 scale stuff compared to an 1/8 scale, but its all that more impressive doing those sorts of jumps and not braking it.

hope youve got a deep back pocked LOL.

body's going to cop a beating, shocks should handle it no prob, shafts done bend like on everything else. bending the chassis is a possibility on a front end landing. spur gear might cop a beating.

steel spur, alloy upper rear swing arms are a must.

I don't think anything could survive that jump LOL!! Even if the landing was perfect the sheer impact force would distort something :-/ I'd be lookin away covering my ears, ha!

Where's that impact stress being passed onto?
It goes via the rod ends, through those bolts that attach them through the chassis.
My guess is you'll start ovalling the mount holes with jumps like that !!

VERY IMPRESSIVE they are - please don't think I'm knocking you, but there's always a price to pay somewhere !!

Al.

Buying replacement parts for a Savage is cheap compared to the FG prices, although I never could hurt my Savage from big jumps and whatnot, I just blew diffs... Twin Thunder-Tiger .90's do that though...
How do I setup a .90 on my ek!!! And did I just read twinsy.90’s?!?!? Holy mother of god yesss lol

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks