fg touring car diff oil or grease

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garethw1986

hello im going to strip my car down and clean and oil it. whats best for the diff oil or grease? ive got some 5000 wt oil i used in a 1/8 truggy but will this work on the fg touring car? and will it leak out the diff thanks:)

I suppose it depends where you're going to use it and for what purpose.
If its a normal diff, then probably grease, if it's a viscous diff, that's another story.
Can you get a photo up of the diff to identify it?
Al.

if its the standard diff, or even an aluminum diff you need to run grease. i tried sealing up my standard diff and running ofna diff lock lube in it (roughly 500,000 wt grease) and it still leaked out. i just use wheel bearing grease, works just fine.

if you want to be able to tune the diff your going to need a 2 or 4 clutch limited slip, a viscous diff, or a power lock diff.

it'll still leak out. id recommend just using some normal grease. silicone grease, as its great for tuning diff action, isnt a great lubricant. ive been there and done that, didnt work, ended up just using wheel bearing grease like comes factory.

plus 1 i filled my 4 block alloy diff with oil pissed out everywhere after 5 mins made one hell of a mess now i just use some castrol grease i had in the garage works much better and don't leak out i even had my diff sealed with silicone if your still useing the standard plastic housing id recomend change for the alloy diff as the plastic ones wont take much crap i see a mates one explode and the gears came through the cover

in a car blowing up diffs isnt so much of an issue. offroad stuff its more common because of jumps and ruts and such, and onroad car isnt constantly loading and unloading the drivetrain

yup, I had 100k dif oil in the semi... 5000 would be seeping out before it was installed LOL. a lot depends on the parking lot you run in too. we run a rough lot and an open dif helps so grease works good. I bought a tube of grease from the auto store. hd industrial crap. black. they spread on 1:1 semi hitches, etc. stinky stuff but works good and inexpensive.

check in the fg mt thread. btb did a good write up on sealing difs. it does help.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks