FG two speeds/pinions/gears/ratios

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First outing

Its very wet here but I could wait no longer.

and the result in a word .... :eek:mg:

this is fast, and its puts the power down so well. The previous gearing would have been spinning every where ... now it pulls away nice and controlled and allows the torque to build ... I'm backing off at half throttle as my road is not big enough ... oh and the rear lower wishbone has pulled a ball joint out ... WHERE'S MY BITS POST OFFICE????

Its very wet here but I could wait no longer.

and the result in a word .... :eek:mg:

this is fast, and its puts the power down so well. The previous gearing would have been spinning every where ... now it pulls away nice and controlled and allows the torque to build ... I'm backing off at half throttle as my road is not big enough ... oh and the rear lower wishbone has pulled a ball joint out ... WHERE'S MY BITS POST OFFICE????

What pinion and spur were you running and what are they now?

What pinion and spur were you running and what are they now?

I did have 18/46 (16/48 on diff) and the new ones are 22/42 giving a 25% increase in gearing.

Video will be on its was as soon as my damn lower wish bones arrive!

Ask and ye shall receive

We "NEED" video.:)

Got the gears installed, still nursing a broken lower wishbone at the rear, but it held up for a while.

New gearing installed and trying out its potential. 30.5cc Oneil ported head, 2mm stuffed stroked crank, Samba exhast. Gearing 22/42 - 16/48 Not bad considering this didn't get much past HALF throttle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1WsAbstu4o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpaWmd0gx8U

Driving courtesy of "Nev"

Running injured ...

Yes the wheels are spinning all the time, it had been very wet WET ... and my tires are rapidly becoming SLICKS

Mainly the lower wish bone is broken and moves about half an inch under power !!! ... just waiting for new set to be delivered.

I also had the suspension fairly firm that didn't help.

hey I have just ordered and 22/42 to i heard that it works great. the other one that i was looking at was the 24/38 i never heard any one with that one yet. but i think that i might try that one.

i am currently running a 16t 48 spur on my fg beetle pro and 14/48 on the layshaft. now my enquiry is what is the best gear ratios/sizes for top speed,i saw on a thread once a guy with a beetle running single speed fg beetle with a 22 clutch pinion /42 spur and claimed 56mph from a radar gun.

i want to know more about this,and want to know, if the clutch spur set up must be changed also must the layshaft/diff set up to be changed with them?

considering the two speed also but seems a lot of bother....
all replies most welcome..[/QUOTE]

The gearing goes as follows:
16/48
18/46
20/44
20/42(i think)

just a note, don't try and go from 1648 in first to 20/44 in second, It is a big jump and I have gone through a couple of clutch shoes with that ratio on a ported 26 engine.

There are also now smaller diff gears being made by someone on ********* forums for more top speed. I think I remember seeing a 42 tooth diff gear.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks