Finally doing some maint on the FHMT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjdurrant

Figured it was time to do some general maint on the DTX 23cc.. I think I picked a great time to given how the plug and top of piston look.

So far I have:

- Removed, cleaned and added air filter oil to air filter
- Removed plug and added 10 drops of after run oil

The plug that was in there is a Torch CMP5H.. weird. Anyone heard of it?

Is the ngk cmr7h still the plug recommended?

Finally, you can see the piston looks pretty dirty, any additive I should use to clean it up?

IMG_2927.jpg

IMG_2928.jpg

IMG_2929.jpg

IMG_2933.jpg

Thanks, Justin

Figured it was time to do some general maint on the DTX 23cc.. I think I picked a great time to given how the plug and top of piston look.

So far I have:

Nope. But I think the number is the heat rating.

Yup.

Finally, you can see the piston looks pretty dirty, any additive I should use to clean it up?

Nope, Just running a bit rich better then too lean. I wouldn't change anything until you run your new plug for a short time. The heat rating may change the way the motor reacts. What type of oil are you using? You can use a wire brush on you new plugs to keep them clean and then blow them out with a compressor.

Last edited:
I am have tried a few different kinds of oil.. right now I am using Valvoline 2 cycle.

Sweet.. I will give it a shot. Do you recommend running premium, or just 87 octane?

I got my NGK plugs yesterday.. w00t w00t.. just waiting on the Saber oil now.

What gap should I run? .25?

Hi jjdurrant,

I just got the FH MT too. I noticed it came with CMR-5H plug and question it myself. Did some digging in NGK plugs web and found out the CRM-5H is a hotter plug and they probably had it in there to breakin the engine. I figure more oil (25:1) is used in the first two tank required a hotter plug for easy starting and so on. I will switch out to CMR-7H after i break it in.

I found CMR-7H at NAPA auto part for $4.00 each so don't go to hoby store and pay $13. It is not a stock item so you may have to wait a couple days but you can get 3 for the same price. The recomended gap is .025 to .030

Hi jjdurrant,

I just got the FH MT too. I noticed it came with CMR-5H plug and question it myself. Did some digging in NGK plugs web and found out the CRM-5H is a hotter plug and they probably had it in there to breakin the engine. I figure more oil (25:1) is used in the first two tank required a hotter plug for easy starting and so on. I will switch out to CMR-7H after i break it in.

I found CMR-7H at NAPA auto part for $4.00 each so don't go to hoby store and pay $13. It is not a stock item so you may have to wait a couple days but you can get 3 for the same price. The recomended gap is .025 to .030

Awesome, thanks!

The Saber oil came in today.. I plan to mix, swap the plug and run er this evening!

I had no luck with the NGK plug (won't start). Runs fine with the orginal plug though.. weird.

That is odd. I have 1/3 tank of gas before i finish the break in so I will try my NGK CMR7H plug tomorrow and let you know. Did you check the gap? Too small of too big it will not work. It is not uncommon to have a bad plug.

It has been cold in NE and lots of snow so I have not used it much. I'm thinking of making chain for the wheels so I can ride it on the ice.

That is odd. I have 1/3 tank of gas before i finish the break in so I will try my NGK CMR7H plug tomorrow and let you know. Did you check the gap? Too small of too big it will not work. It is not uncommon to have a bad plug.

It has been cold in NE and lots of snow so I have not used it much. I'm thinking of making chain for the wheels so I can ride it on the ice.

Gap is close to the same. I will try another plug.

Finally ran enough gas to break in the engine. After the car warmed up, i installed the new NGK CMR7H plug and it would not start. After a few pulls it sounds like it wants to start but it just die (similar to having the choke on).

I turned the L (low) needle counter clockwise 1/8 of a turn and she started right up. You can try adjusting the Low needle.

I also notice that it has a little less smoke when I goose the throttle.

Good luck!!

So far I have:

Thanks, Justin

There is a post somewhere on this forum board that mentions this plug... It comes in the King Motor Baja (Hpi 5b clone)

Throw an NGK CMR7H (standard plug) or an NGK CR7HIX Iridium plug in it, lean the H.S. needle 1/16 turn, run it for a bit and check the plug color. NOTE:: If you run the Iridium plug, it is considerably taller (out of the head, because the plug is longer) this may cause clearance issues.

Good luck and have fun,
Trip..

The plug on the right is a standard NGK from my FG M/T

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks