First Victory for MCD in the UK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Monotheist

King Cobra posted the following comment on gear ratios:

After testing various gear ratios at The Nook on Sunday, Ian Oddie used this gear ratio to take FTD and win the meeting.

Ian fitted a 30t gear onto the clutch output shaft, and matched it with a 33t gear onto the layshaft.

The inner two gears used were the new 23t and 26t steel gear set just released by MCD. part number 503-2-DS-1 for the pair.

This combination gave Ian all the speed he needed without peaking-out on the main straights, and yet still gave plenty of acceleration out of the corners.

The proof was in the result, with Ian being by far the fastest driver on the circuit all weekend - including the 1/8 rallycross cars!

I initially used 27t gear on the clutch, 36t gear on the layshaft with the 23t gear behind and the 26t gear on the central diff layshaft. After running the car (converted back to a Race Runner) I changed to a 33t gear on the clutch and 30t gear on the layshaft.

To be honest I was not using the most appropriate engine/pipe combination - a tuned (modified) 23cc engine with the standard can exhaust. The engine was down on power and even when using the Samba Race Runner tuned pipe it lacks the torque needed in a 4WD car.

I do have the ideal engine (Alro Racing "Concept" - 26cc) for the car (http://www.alroracing.com/) but I am reluctant to use it......It needs to be carefully run-in for the first 6/7 hours! It is even better than the Oddified 4-bolt Heli type engine and costs significantly less. I had a slightly modified Zenoah 26cc engine converted by Alro to full "Concept" spec for only £120. This includes a new crankcase, head, piston, piston ring, bearings, seals plus adjustable timing. The performance of these engines (Alro and Oddified) is simply amazing - I did one race meeting with it installed in the Race Runner (even though it was not fully run-in :no: ) and the car was easier to drive but simply too fast for the small on-road track I race at.

Clive

Interesting. Wonder if Ian's running the steel gears in the 23/26 or 26/23 combo? If he is running the 30/33/23/26 combo (9.04:1) then he has a slightly higher ratio then mine currently 24/39/26/23 (10.45:1) In terms of top speed thats a difference of about 6 km/h all else being equal.

Seeing as my track was built primarily for 1/8 scale (even though it conforms to the 1/5 rule of 4 meters in width) it is not a super fast track.There are only 2 sections where im giving it the berries but even then thats only for a few secs so anything taller would be a waste for me but that said I will give it a go regardless and see how I find it. Great info once again!

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks