fitting new exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris taylor

just purchased a tuned pipe for my carson attack and wanted to fit it well to stop any oil leaks from around the header of the engine as it took me ages to clean loads of crud from it so don't want to have to repeat this again. i was wondering the best way to fit it to achieve an oil tight fit. is it best to just use a new gasket and bolt it down nice and tight or do you guys know a better method? i was wondering if a little dab of instant gasket on either side of the gasket would benefit before tightening to create a gas tight seal what do you think?

I use a very thin smear of loctite instant gasket, and when tightening it, tighten the bolts a bit at a time (1/4 turm) to make sure that it seats evenly.

if you need to, block up the exhaust port (use Blu-tac or putty) and use a very fine file to get the surfave perfectly flat. You shouldn''t need to do this on a good engine, but may need to do it on the exhaust header.

mine tends to leak as well. i blocked the port and flat filed it and was amazed at how bad it was. i also went as far as making studs for it, it allows me to get the exhaust tighter without worrying about stripping the head.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks