Foams for Proline Trenchers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshT

I have a full set of Baja 5t trenchers that I picked up on DDM's DOTD a few months back, and a set of front Split Six wheels from the LSRC's ridiculous sale about the same time. Been waiting for a rear set of split six to pop up for sale, but am about tired of waiting. Once I get those all I'll be lacking is foams.

I have been searching and reading on the Trenchers and it seems that the best fitting foams for them were the pro-line molded foams (really, no poop), but they were weak and didn't hold up well. Regardless of the fit or durability they are no longer made. Seems that any front foam with work with the front tires, but I'm getting confusing reports of what other foams will fit the rears. Some I see report that regular sized rear foams will fit fine, while others read that they are too large and that front foams are needed for the rear trenchers. So do I need rear foams or front foams to get these rolling?

What I'm thinking is that the Proline foams used the same size for front and rear on the 5T. Since they made their foams to fit their tires, their front and rear tires probably use the same size foams. Just looking for confirmation or otherwise before I order components that don't fit.

Other question is which foams to get. I know I want to get molded foams, but I'm not sure which ones. I like the idea of Hostile "Zero Growth", but do they live up to their hype and are they worth the money? The only hostiles in stock that I can find are fronts, so will only get them if I need to use fronts on all four. If I need the rear foams I'm pretty much limited to HPI molded, or should I get these regardless?

the proline 5t foams are not the same size for the rear and the front and the hostile zero growth are the bomb!!!!! they do not grow at all seriously they are well worth it IMO

I believe you on the hostiles, but there's still the fact that there are no rear foams available at the moment if in fact I do actually need rear foams. If rears were available and/or I had confirmation that the trencher rears used front foams I'd already have bought a set. If nothing else I'd probably have bought a set for my 5b wheels & tires, but those are all sold out as well.

As for the Proline foams I'm getting my information from DDM (this link) which I would go try to check on the Proline site, but I can't seem to open it at the moment. To quote that link:

"This foam will work in the front and the rear of Pro-Line 5T and Losi tires ONLY"
-and-
"
2 molded grooves for the inner sidewall to be a universal fit between the front and rear of tires"

That certainly seems to me that they intend for the same foam to be used for both, which would also kinda explain the extra internal webbing supporting the outer sidewall of the rear tires. Not that it really matters since they aren't available.

The main question still stands.
The reason for asking it while searching I've seen reports of rears fitting and rears not fitting with these tires. I'd use trial and error to get an answer myself, but don't have any existing wheel/tire assemblies to cannibalize from. So, do REAR Proline Trenchers for 5t use front or rear 5t foams?

P7260053_zps5115dc8d.jpg

This is a front insert in a rear tire there is a small space left between the tire and the insert.

P7260055_zpsb167085b.jpg[/URThis is the insert from the rear tire there is a slight difference i height bu not that much at all.

P7260054_zps98b05c9b.jpg

This is how it looks on the five and the same on the 5T

So now when you say will they fit yes they do fit into the rears almost the same. So I hope the question does not still stand

When mounted with the fronts in the rear it feels pretty much the same. The tire is full no tire swaying from side to side and no gap from inserts to tire.

Dude, thanks for the pics. Love those wheels, mind if I ask where you got them?

So the front inserts are a little too narrow (correct?) for the rear trenchers. So I can use a front foam and be okay, but a rear foam would be better. As mentioned too many times I was seeing the conflicting posts when searching, that combined with the ribbing inside the tire and never having messed with 5t tires (or any 5b off the wheel for that matter) was confusing the heck me.

Think what I'll plan on is getting the best of what is available right now, that being the zero growth front and HPI rear. Then unless I encounter issue I'll get the zero growth rear when it becomes available again.

Thanks for your time and patience, I'm trying to learn.

Did any one get yellow zero growth foams with proline trenchers? I have put the foams on but it seems to me the foams are wider then the rim! am i suppose to trim the foam to fit? The foam is for the rear and I have rims for the rear.

IIRC the Proline trenchers are only made for the Baja 5T and Losi 5. Pretty certain that the Hostile zero growth in yellow is for HPI Baja 5B which is both wider and shorter than the 5T calls for.

As a follow up to this I still haven't gotten rear wheels or foams. Too many other expenses occurred during the year that took priority over playing with and modifying the R/C. I think I've probably only ran the thing once since I posted this thread. My real truck was dead most of that time, so either I was working on it or driving my car, and I ain't putting a muddy anything on it. Only mud it sees is on the tires, and even that is kept to a minimum.

Maybe after hunting season is over, and my bank account has recuperated a little, I'll be able to get back into playing with this.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks