From 1/8 nitro to 1/5 gas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpk

Hi!

I'm about to make a change from 1/8 nitro (Inferno) to 1/5 gas and I was wondering if HPI Baja 5B, J&A T3 Mamba or FG's offerings would be the best choice.

The main purpose with the car is to have fun and maybe race at some point. What is your suggestion and why?

Thank you for your time and effort in advance.

Matt

I only have the Baja so cant compare with others. With that being said, I chose the Baja and have no regrets. The transition from 8th to 5th is the next logical progression in the hobby. Once you go gas, nitros just don't seem the same. The Baja is a tight package out of the box an can be upgraded as needed.

There are a few different tools you will need like a 4mm and 5mm hex that arent included in most RC tool sets. There is a 4mm in the Baja box but you will most likely want to upgrade that. You will need to mix oil with fuel as well.

If you want to see some details on how the Baja is put together, there is an articles link at the top of the page. The tutorials will give you a great look at how its put together.

Hi!

I'm about to make a change from 1/8 nitro (Inferno) to 1/5 gas and I was wondering if HPI Baja 5B, J&A T3 Mamba or FG's offerings would be the best choice.

The main purpose with the car is to have fun and maybe race at some point. What is your suggestion and why?

Thank you for your time and effort in advance.

Matt

Matt, Is there any of the makes you like around so that you can try them out or see them in action anywhere around you or any friends?

Matt, Is there any of the makes you like around so that you can try them out or see them in action anywhere around you or any friends?

There are some FG's and HPI Baja 5B's around, I'll go and see the action. The word is that Baja is faster on the track...

Matt

first if u are willing to pay the price for the mamba remove the fgs from your list. if u ever want to upgrade an fg to all alloy double what ever the new one cost. plus the need several must have upgrades right out of the box. the only bad comments i have heard about the baja are from fg owners. my next car will be a baja it looks like it handles better than a marder. but the marder is faster out of the box. parts are also cheaper for the baja and most lhs carry hpi parts.

Ok, here is my take,
Baja, A+++ awesome all around racer, runner, and stable as the Golden gate bridge.
FG MT Funny, looks massive. Rolls easy.
FG ST Don't know, never driven the all alloy one i have.
MCD 4x4 Race Runner. HUGE $, great fun. Looks great also changed into a Baja 1000.
So i have all 4 of these, and i have to say, for just screwing around the Baja seems to shed less damage, the MT, i have torn up 3 bodys already.
My $.02, get the Baja to start, RTR reasonable, (saw one for $650 Brand new in the box, missed it by calling 4 minutes to late) and fun.......

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks