From the Lab of Dr. Nitrostein!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitroheadjones

Reading the Rules!
From scrap pieces I made a 2 speed tranny for my MCD RALLY ONROAD CAR do you see any potential problems with the design?? Comments appreciated.005.jpg

Thanks for the compliments . I am putting a new alloy radio tray and alloy bearings holders plus a new motor I will keep you updated with the progress and have a video of the first test run.

Last edited:
WOA!!!

Later give us the DIY of this 2 speed gearbox!!!

I wonder... where did you put the "clutch" that engage the 2º speed??

looking at it now it seems that both gears are runign at the same time like it always run in 2º speed...

regards!!! and man these RALLY run like speedy gonzales, imagine it with 2 speed hehehe

Are the two separate? If the gears run together then the model will not go any faster then the 1st speed.

Are what 2 seperate ?? Which gears are you talking about?? Read up on how a 2 speed pawl tranny works, the one way bearing in the 1st gear spur acts as a clutch and disengages 1st gear when the 2nd speed spur gear which houses the 2nd speed pawl gets up to speed.

Last edited:
Are what 2 seperate ?? Which gears are you talking about?? Read up on how a 2 speed pawl tranny works, the one way bearing in the 1st gear spur acts as a clutch and disengages 1st gear when the 2nd speed spur gear which houses the 2nd speed pawl gets up to speed.

That was my question. Obviously you understood the question, you answered it. I don't think someone should ask for comments if they are going to criticize the questions...
I don't think I need to read up?:dots:

Last edited:
That was my question. Obviously you understood the question, you answered it. I don't think someone should ask for comments if they are going to criticize the questions...
I don't think I need to read up?:dots:
...........Sorry but , no I did not understand your question and no I was not trying to criticize you. I was answering Passamal question. Sorry if you misinterpeted my response .

Last edited:
Looks like I am having a problem with the pawl mechanism and springs .........back to the drawing board. I may have to redesign the pawl and find stronger springs.

Looks like I am having a problem with the pawl mechanism and springs .........back to the drawing board. I may have to redesign the pawl and find stronger springs.

Put a picture up of it stripped down and show the pawl and guts.We may be able to help if we seen the insides.I have a two speed for my FG and know how they work now.The lads on here helped me with mine ,they should do the same for you.
J.

Put a picture up of it stripped down and show the pawl and guts.We may be able to help if we seen the insides.I have a two speed for my FG and know how they work now.The lads on here helped me with mine ,they should do the same for you.
J.
..................Thanks Voo2doo . What happened was I was using a pawl I had laying around, the hole in the center of the pawl had to be drilled out to 8mm because it was too small. A friend of mine drilled it out but forgot to mention that the drilling removed too much material and leaves the spring and setscrew exposed causing it to bind against the shaft. If I remake the pawl and slightly shift the tunnel for the spring and setscrew over that should take care of the problem.

J.
..................Brother Voo2doo I think I may need to just buy the pawl and spring assembly from FG and go from there. This afternoon I put my motor in just to try out the 2 speed it worked but it shifted kinda early:no: But my 2 speed is not completly finished anyway because I want to put a brace on the gears so they don't spread apart at high speeds. What I am hoping I can get away with is keeping the pawl mechanism small and putting a heaveir bigger spring in it so it will shift later. Or I guess I could lighten up the pawl it self by drilling holes in it therefore it would take higher rpms to make it overcome the spring so it would engage the pin??

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks