Front differential pinion depth

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoreyB527t

What’s up guys? About 3 months ago my KV5TT went down for service. I broke a few teeth off the front pinion gear. So I ordered a new ring and pinion and also ordered an RCMAX billet front diff housing. When I put the diff together it feels like it clicks when you spin it. So I loosen the housing up and when I do it’s smooth. I figured I tightened it crooked, nope not the case. Finally after checking multiple things, I find my pinion depth is wrong. It’s sitting to deep into the ring gear. The pinion is all the way down in the bearings, so I can’t back it out any further. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

What’s up guys? About 3 months ago my KV5TT went down for service. I broke a few teeth off the front pinion gear. So I ordered a new ring and pinion and also ordered an RCMAX billet front diff housing. When I put the diff together it feels like it clicks when you spin it. So I loosen the housing up and when I do it’s smooth. I figured I tightened it crooked, nope not the case. Finally after checking multiple things, I find my pinion depth is wrong. It’s sitting to deep into the ring gear. The pinion is all the way down in the bearings, so I can’t back it out any further. Any help is greatly appreciated,
thank you.
Did you also replace the bearings. The rcmax diff case is spot on, no shims needed.

Did you also replace the bearings. The rcmax diff case is spot on, no shims needed.
It came with oversized pinion bearings already in it. I didn’t change the 2 bearings on either side by the drive cups though. Think those would have anything to do with it? Thank you for the reply.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 7
When all assembled and you pull it tight as if you were connecting it to the center drive bone it should be buttery smooth. I was just playing with mine on the stand
If you push it in ever so slightly it doesn't mesh smoothly. Once center bone is connected it will pull everything into alignment

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks