Fuel leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wakko_Evo

How are you guys dealing with the stock tank and or cap leaks? Even the top rubber grommet where the two fuel hose comes out leaks. It's getting annoying at this point. Replacing it might sound better then doing any mods to it. But I need advise if there's any simple solution to this. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Other than modding the cap I don't think u can stop them from leaking. I've had 3 and they all leak

IMG_20170305_220544.jpg There are the Ful Force I think it is that has the brace fuel pipes which should help.

What I recommend is weed eater larger diameter fuel lines, orange color, which may help on a better seal. Its thicker pushing the rubber out against the fuel tank. Cut the end in angle so it easy to pass through, then trim flat to fit the fuel filter.

What about placing the black rubber grommet on a vice, clamp w metal or small piece of wood, apply some heat and slightly squeeze, but just enough to make the grommet wider, don't crack or break it into pieces.

Mine don't leak, I guess I am lucky with the ones sent to me.

Thank you guys for the reply. I'm going to try modding before I purchase. Don't want to purchase then realize it leaks also. My 1st attempt I will try sealing the stock cap with a rubber O-ring & adding a bigger grommet. If that don't work I will get a new cap with no vent hole and adding a vent to the grommet like this e97d5b39f00f943822fea1ab8f53e11f.jpg

If that don't work I will try this 6f6a331564c38da94821e31bc3872ce5.jpg

If you guys have used any of these don't hesitate to review your item here. Thank you

How are you guys dealing with the stock tank and or cap leaks? Even the top rubber grommet where the two fuel hose comes out leaks. It's getting annoying at this point. Replacing it might sound better then doing any mods to it. But I need advise if there's any simple solution to this. Thank you

Dave's DOTD for today.
Should fix the leaky grommet issue...as long as your grommet is crapped.

http://www.davesmotors.com/Full-For...-for-HPI-Baja-5B-5T-5SC-Losi-5ive-5B004X.html

Yeah, thats the one I was referring to, the copper/brass pipes, a little pric but seems to fix most issues. Many times is just the grommet, and not within the lines. The tribulations of modding 5th scales...

Taking a guess here but by installing the two brass pipes it also expands the grommet which makes a more tighter fit? Looks simple enough but I think my leak problem is with both the cap and grommet. I see most of the mess around the cap and my grommet is crazy loose.

That was the same principle if using those orange lines, inner diameter is the same as the stock fuel line, but the tube is much thicker. Like you said, its a logical guess.

At the end of the day a new tank, but could be back to zero w a new one as well. Or, although a gamble, some kind of strong plastic molded over the hole glued on to it, to thicken the plastic, possibly slightly smaller.

And... lol, what about a small thin layer inside the grommet channel, of rtv fuel proof sealant. Just a bit, enough that it stays in the channel and not too much it falls off on the other side into the tank. Scrape the inner surface to have fresh surface w sand paper, but better adhesion. From buying a new tank to all the above...

Last edited:
Full-Force RC v2 High Flow Fuel Line Kit for HPI Baja 5B/5T/5SC installed but still leaves me in the same position. I thought it would expand the grommet a little so now moving to another fix. Video added.

You can also try boiling the grommet to expand the rubber. I've done this on my 1/8 scale hydro and worked fine

As far as caps I don't think they make one that don't eventually leak through the vent hole without modding the cap.

As far as caps I don't think they make one that don't eventually leak through the vent hole without modding the cap.

See I don't think it leaks through the vent hole. It leaks around the cap. I have rubber O rings the size of the cap that I will try and see if that works.

And with the grommet I will try what Crankenstein suggested. To put an outer ring on the hole and see if it seals it. Just need to figure out what tho

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks