Fuel line maintenance?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickDizzle

Isaiah 41:10
PLUS member
Build Thread Contributor
Curious as to if everyone changes their fuel line at any specific intervals? I.E once a year, once every so many gallons or just as it starts breaking down. From my research appears tygon fuel line is the stuff to go to.
What do you guys do for maintenance around your fuel lines?

Secondly is there a recommendation for changing your clunk, or is that basically good for a long long while?

Thanks fellas!

I never considered having to change fuel lines :unsure: Been using the dark soul quick fuel connects for years and never thought about it.

Clunk get's replaced a couple times a year if I'm using the rig a lot. Anytime I see debris in tank, rebuild carb or engine it get's one. Switched over to the BigBoy during my last service (y)

I found stock hardens up after a while and that’s running completely ethanol free fuel. Tried the DDM fuel line and I believe it’s silicone, only problem is the I.D. Seemed a little smaller and had a real problem getting it far enough on the barbs that I felt comfortable with. Tried heating it to make it more pliable but silicone is pretty impervious to heat and made no difference.

I used the dark soul quick connects and really liked them but had to remove them as they were restrictive when installed the Taylor 35. Had to upgrade to the axis high flow fuel line kit. Their lines seem very pliable comparatively to others. Would like to source the same tubing for replacement on my other rigs if I could find it without the full kit.

I found stock hardens up after a while and that’s running completely ethanol free fuel. Tried the DDM fuel line and I believe it’s silicone, only problem is the I.D. Seemed a little smaller and had a real problem getting it far enough on the barbs that I felt comfortable with. Tried heating it to make it more pliable but silicone is pretty impervious to heat and made no difference.

I used the dark soul quick connects and really liked them but had to remove them as they were restrictive when installed the Taylor 35. Had to upgrade to the axis high flow fuel line kit. Their lines seem very pliable comparatively to others. Would like to source the same tubing for replacement on my other rigs if I could find it without the full kit.
Silicon does not play with gas, its tygon fuel line.
And I'll be the odd ball, as most of you know I do a lot of saw work. I have tons of good rubber fuel kine from stihl. (Actually I think I covered this some time ago) it's better then tygone in every way save it ethanol doesn't play well with it. (Yes I run the dreaded ethanol laced fuel.) To menits a maintenance item. Even the over priced ddm fuel line gets hard as a rock after a bit. And is a massive pain to remove from the carb or any barb for that matter. Doesn't make a nice seal in plastic and really suck to use in general being thick walled. It does come in a lot of fun colors.
Any way. When it shot its shot. Got a 33 meter roll for $25.00 2 years ago. Replace as nessisary, which in my case lately isn't real often. (Rc has taken a back seat to life atm) any who, when I did run a lot I just changed it yearly.
The clunk. There's no real reason to change it if your not having fuel supply issues. I know, they are cheap blah blah blah. When was the last time you even looked at the clunk in any of your other 2 strokes? Yep never. They don't really go bad unless they deteriorate. That takes a really long time for a wlabro clunk. If there isn't really an crud in the tank the filter is fine. Wash it out and carry on. I also prefer the wing clunk as I like to suck every but of gas out of the tank I can....... not really but they do help with fuel slosh and fuel getting pushed to the sides of the tank in corners.
Another thing to consider is carb maintenance. Those of you not running a spiral diaphragm should be replacing them every year to every other year depending on usage. The Viton needles also get hard after a while, but less likely to give issues then a half hard diaphragm.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks