Fuel Mixture/Lubrication Clarification/Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrpHed

Hi everyone,

I hoping to clarify as per the title.

If I fine tune my vehicle until I have good clean, responsive acceleration, and clean revs and power at the top end, without going overboard (too lean), am I risking starving the engine of enough lubrication?

I am running 25:1 synthetic. As advertised, there is little smoke as the oil is meant not to so, I don't see a lot of exhaust.

I'm just a little concerned and would like to be sure so I don't damage anything.

Thanks!

25:1 is the preferred ratio of most/all who race their largescale vehicles - ie those who hammer their engines the hardest.
I use fully synthetic and run 32:1, but only 'bash' for periods of perhaps 5-30 minutes maximum.

I don't see much of a 'wisp' either, but have read it depends on the type of oil also, how much you see - some create more smoke than others, and fully synthetics still lubricate extremely well, but 'burn cleaner'.

A slight hint of smoke is fine with fully synthetic, but you could try checking the engine temperature - similar to nitros at 230-250F is generally OK after hard running.
Al.

Thanks much for the input.

After using dino oil for one tank for break in, I switched to the oil I plan to use. Also, after a gasket issue and replacing those, the mixtures need(ed) adjustment. I may have had a minor leak somewhere leaning things out a bit and didn't know it because since the new gaskets went in, it seems a bit rich. Therefore, I've had to lean out a bit more than I was and was starting to get concerned that I may be going too lean.

You wouldn't think so as, getting crisp throttle response right at the adjustment point that an engine goes from rich (sputtering and lacking clean response) to good, should be 'normal' in terms of the engine still getting good lubrication.

I'm just being cautious I suppose.

According to all the other info here and elsewhere I've read, I'm adjusting properly. When I was breaking in, it was literally a matter of a couple very small tweaks and the engine was at good place. I'm right before that right now and just wanted to be sure.

Cheers!

25:1 is the preferred ratio of most/all who race their largescale vehicles - ie those who hammer their engines the hardest.
I use fully synthetic and run 32:1, but only 'bash' for periods of perhaps 5-30 minutes maximum.

I don't see much of a 'wisp' either, but have read it depends on the type of oil also, how much you see - some create more smoke than others, and fully synthetics still lubricate extremely well, but 'burn cleaner'.

A slight hint of smoke is fine with fully synthetic, but you could try checking the engine temperature - similar to nitros at 230-250F is generally OK after hard running.
Al.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks