Fuel Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being different is fine if that’s your thing, but if you want enjoyment for a recreational hobby why introduce an unneeded hassle? You’ve pretty much answered your own question! Yes, methanol is hygroscopic and attracts moisture and will promote corrosion/pitting on aluminum. I spend enough time wrenching on my rigs due to hard running and parts breakage, I don’t need to introduce another factor to increase my maintenance time.

Why not just have them build you a high compression SS engine to run on 110 so you can say you run race gas?

Just my two cents.

Being different is fine if that’s your thing, but if you want enjoyment for a recreational hobby why introduce an unneeded hassle? You’ve pretty much answered your own question! Yes, methanol is hygroscopic and attracts moisture and will promote corrosion/pitting on aluminum. I spend enough time wrenching on my rigs due to hard running and parts breakage, I don’t need to introduce another factor to increase my maintenance time.

Why not just have them build you a high compression SS engine to run on 110 so you can say you run race gas?

Just my two cents.
Well obrs 29cc full port is suppose to be their motor for meth and nitrous if wanted. The 1242 carb is able to run any type of gas. But my buddy says you need to have anodized carbs inside and out so I'll have to ask when I talk to the oneill brothers. I just wanted to run meth because they say you get alot more power out of meth than any gas, up to 30%. Thats what I'm told anyway.So that's why I'm leaning toward that so much. Plus i can get M5 fairly cheap. I don't know anyone that has that motor, cant really find much info on how well it runs.

Anodized or stainless steel components. Any type of alcohol is hard on a fuel system and rubber components. Plus you have to flow a good bit more fuel then gas. The carbs can be made to accommodate all this, even with a shorter service life. As far as I'm aware, walbro doesn't Anodized their carbs. The obr 1242 is a jerked off 1107 from what I understand. Not a bad carb by any means, but you could do the same with a standard carb if you want. I know they tweaked the pop pressure, comes std with an ethonal resistant primer and a spiral diaphragm. It should flow enough to handle the needs of methanol. I would still expect to have to advance timing and run it on gas to help flush the system when your done with it. It's a high maintenance kinda thing. 30% more power is optimistic imo as well. While back there was a guy dynoing these little engines and obr was good but not the 9hp good. They make outstanding engines and I won't knock them, just take the rating with a grain of salt. If your any good at porting you can easily achieve the same results. Another thing to consider is a lot of two stroke oils Don't mix with alcohol. I favor klotz oils, but there are many other out there that blend well. Caster (bean oil) is a crowd favorite. Nothing wrong with it. Very old school. I would also look into fogging oil before storage. I can't say enough how much alcohol attracts water and water will destroy everything in the engine.
But it's fun to play with other fuels.

Anodized or stainless steel components. Any type of alcohol is hard on a fuel system and rubber components. Plus you have to flow a good bit more fuel then gas. The carbs can be made to accommodate all this, even with a shorter service life. As far as I'm aware, walbro doesn't Anodized their carbs. The obr 1242 is a jerked off 1107 from what I understand. Not a bad carb by any means, but you could do the same with a standard carb if you want. I know they tweaked the pop pressure, comes std with an ethonal resistant primer and a spiral diaphragm. It should flow enough to handle the needs of methanol. I would still expect to have to advance timing and run it on gas to help flush the system when your done with it. It's a high maintenance kinda thing. 30% more power is optimistic imo as well. While back there was a guy dynoing these little engines and obr was good but not the 9hp good. They make outstanding engines and I won't knock them, just take the rating with a grain of salt. If your any good at porting you can easily achieve the same results. Another thing to consider is a lot of two stroke oils Don't mix with alcohol. I favor klotz oils, but there are many other out there that blend well. Caster (bean oil) is a crowd favorite. Nothing wrong with it. Very old school. I would also look into fogging oil before storage. I can't say enough how much alcohol attracts water and water will destroy everything in the engine.
But it's fun to play with other fuels.
Thanks for all information. It will be a learning experience for sure. I do like your idea of doing the port work myself and building something. Sure will be alot more fun than buying a motor ready to go. Just have to make my mind up on which direction to go now.

He's guys. Have a couple questions I would like to know everyone's opinion on. Looking into M5 for my 30 degree north. Right now it's a stock motor, but I'm looking into cutting the head and doing some port work and some carb work. I use to run vp110 straight in my mustang, but on these little engines I think it would run crappy being the fuel burns longer and they don't have the compression unless worked up.I was thinking about mixing 1:1 vp110 and enthanol free gas, but then you have 2 jugs have to go to 2 different places. Plus the cost of 110 at $19 a gallon vs M5 at $12. So I'm intrested if anyone is ruining methanol fuels and what mods besides the carbs need to be done to support the fuel. I think the performance gains would be interesting. My buddy runs M5 in his circle track car which gave me the idea. I haven't had the chance to pick his brain about the subject. What do you guys think?
I run Sunoco 112 26:1 in my Taylor 35 and I can’t say enough about the performance. Works for me and I’m happy with the results. 🏎🔥

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks