Fuel Ratios, Oils, Types of Fuel. You like smoke or no smoke? Lets talk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasserbob

Me personally I love the fact that I can concoct my own little drink for my 2 stroke Rovan

During my break in I used 4 stroke 92 octane tru fuel with some green bottle generic brand 2 stroke non synthetic oil for my break in procedure.

Now that Im out of the break in period I have been using Echo synthetic 2 stroke oil with 92 Octane tru fuel.

Seems Echo is the most mass produced weed eater and blower that is being used commercially and is what all of the Home Depots and Lowes stores are stocking and sell. So to me Echo 2 stroke oil has got to make sure that there oil is up to par.

I recently ran a bottle of Husqvarana 2 stroke chainsaw oil with VP racing 94 Octane and it seems to be doing pretty well. Only thing I noticed is when I started shaking the mix the Husqvarana oil seemed really thin and blended in right away with the fuel.
I did not really like seeing that.
Typically anytime I mix Echo or any other 2 stroke oil it always takes a while of shaking to get the oil to fully mix.

Im old fashioned and when I see smoke, well that tells me there is a good mix with plenty of oil.

Typically when I pour the oil into the mix bottle I always add a little extra oil and a little less fuel.

The other day I was looking at some really expensive outboard boat 2 stroke oil and I almost bought some to use but I reminded myself the outboard 2 stroke boat oils are expected to run at way cooler temps seeing how the outboard motors have constant flow of cool lake water to keep those motors cool. I suspect that Evenrude and Yamaha have formulated their oils to run at cooler temps.

Something else when I am looking for a 2 stroke oil for my Rovan I want a oil that is suitable for a chainsaw and defiantly a air cooled motor.
Because chainsaws to me are the most abundant and hardest running 2 stroke motors out in the commercial setting.

They are stationary during use and often have saw dust clogging cooling fins on the head. So to me any 2 stroke oil that is recommended for a commercial chainsaw will likely be a good idea for a Gas powered 1/5th scale.

A lot of people might have a 2 stroke oil that they stand behind but really the trials and test have already been written in stone with the commercial chainsaws. So Echo, Stihl, and Husqvarana are gonna be the oils I am using.

As far as fuel, I have considered getting some race fuel like 100LL aviation or 106 octane but I know that is going to generate more heat and with this Texas heat about to start really piping up im interested in keeping that little cylinder head as cool as can be.

One thing to keep in mind is lawn and garden two strokes peak out at 9000-9500 rpm, your little 36cc is probably running closer to 14000-16000rpm. The guys at OBR recommend Castrol 927 or Yamalube, I would expect they have a bit of experience with engines run the way we run em.

I run ethonol free 91 octane pump gas, with 5.5 oz of Castrol 927 per gallon. My 26cc that came in my 5ive-T has some where north of 8 gallons through it and is still healthy. My 34cc stroker has around four gallons and is very healthy, made two of my racing buddies start contemplating new mills after last weekend.

My 30.5 Rovan mill made about 4-5 gallons when the wrist pin washer broke up and tore up the motor. My 32cc Rovan didn't make 2 gallons before the con rod casting flash broke off end tore it up.

I’m currently using redline synthetic 2 stroke racing oil.. which is designed For high performance air cooled 2 stroke racing dirt bikes and such so I figured it should do nicely... so far I’m very pleased with it.. almost 4 gallons of fuel threw my 36cc mill and still running strong... which I expect to ganade any time now... lol time will tell... gonna enjoy every last second I can squeeze out of her either way

I have posted here before that the owner of a popular high performance engine shop instructed me to run my modified 34 stroker with 10oz. per gallon. That the high compression engines would last much longer and needed the extra oil. I also found that some other engine modifiers were suggesting 8oz. and that you could get more horsepower. When others argued against the theory they accepted the explanation for the increase which I don't remember. I tried 10 and 8. I did not find any detectable difference in performance. I did find it to be messier with unburned oil being spit out. I am back at 5. The shop owner did suggest Amsoil, which I do use, Saber.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks