Fuel Tank Repair

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fkm141

i have a Hurrax and found a fuel leak coming from the fuel tank. it is not the type of leak where fuel is running out but there is a leak.

IMG_0442_zps9a1a5dcb.jpg
the black line is were there is a crack in the mount and that is where it is leaking from.
IMG_0443_zps9d43e8b5.jpg
this pic is of the side and shows the seam where the 2 parts of the fuel tank or put together. any ideas of how to maybe fix this leak?

+1 on replacing the tank.
But for a short turn fix.... I have used a soldering iron to melt the plastic around a crack and smooth it over said crack. You have to move fast and do NOT melt more than just the surface of the surrounding area. If you hold the iron in one spot too long, the plastic will begin to blacken or "burn" (like toast) this will make it more difficult to smooth over and seal the area.

You could practice on an old broken A arm first?

Need to make sure the area is as clean and dry as possible.

I have done this on nitro tanks many times with Great success.

Last edited:
+1 on replacing the tank.
But for a short turn fix.... I have used a soldering iron to melt the plastic around a crack and smooth it over said crack. You have to move fast and do NOT melt more than just the surface of the surrounding area. If you hold the iron in one spot too long, the plastic will begin to blacken or "burn" (like toast) this will make it more difficult to smooth over and seal the area.

You could practice on an old broken A arm first?

Need to make sure the area is as clean and dry as possible.

I have done this on nitro tanks many times with Great success.

I was going to mention this.
Definitely prefer the new tank option - slight leak over time could create a problem.

MAIN THING: Ensure tank is empty, fume free, and DO NOT SMOKE ...
Al.

Yea you could maybe instead of plastic soldering is to rough it up with say 80 grit paper and than put so epoxy on it. But I would rather say get new tank rather than go thru the hassle.

thank all of you for your input. i will get a new tank but i will experiment with the old tank

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks