gear train change ???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaggy

i have a fg m/t.. at the moment i have a steel 16 tooth pinion and a plastic 48 tooth spur.. i have stripped 4 spurs now ( loss of E clips ) and at the av. replacement costs of 10 pound (uk) for the spurs..

what im thinking is.. bare with me on on this..

new lay shaft drilled and tapped with good size washer instead of the E clip. (and loctite)

either alloy or steel 48 spur gear.

and a 16 tooth plastic pinion..
these are cheaper than the plastic 48 spurs..

any q's and help and advice very gratefull.. thanks :)

Last edited:
You can get a alloy carrier for the spur gear 60mm dia..that has grub screws...use a 48tooth steel
gear...19 tooth steel pinion for the clutch bell...that would be better...
but the plastic spur gear is the weak link for your drive train....going all steel gears the next weak link is the diff internals.....
Where are you running that plastic 16 pinion?On the clutch bell?....Slawhammer

i have a fg m/t.. at the moment i have a steel 16 tooth pinion and a plastic 48 tooth spur.. i have stripped 4 spurs now ( loss of E clips ) and at the av. replacement costs of 10 pound (uk) for the spurs..

what im thinking is.. bare with me on on this..

new lay shaft drilled and tapped with good size washer instead of the E clip. (and loctite)

either alloy or steel 48 spur gear.

and a 16 tooth plastic pinion..
these are cheaper than the plastic 48 spurs..

any q's and help and advice very gratefull.. thanks :)

Hi Shaggy, you can buy a comp lay shaft like i did wich comes drilled.

http://www.rc-car-online-shop.de/cg...041_05&file=&gesamt_zeilen=0Tsuche--lay shaft

i already run a alloy carrier.. and i will not put the diff as a weak link...
as for the ready made drilled lay shaft at 37 euro thats no as well....

i don't mean to be negative but im thinking the pinion is a the weakest link in the chain.. and all i need is a standard lay shaft and i can put it in my lathe and drill and tap it for for the spur gear..

The comp lay shaft will be hard to bend too....

I bent my standard lay shaft, just from a stone getting in the mesh between the lay shaft and diff gear, also took a tooth off the diff gear so thats why i whent with the comp lay shaft.

i already run a alloy carrier.. and i will not put the diff as a weak link...

If you run the stock plastic diff cage, your diff is the weak link. I have run metal gears from the 1st month I bought my MT. I know no other way of running the model. The weak link in an all metal gear set up is the stock outdrives. These will break if you consistently do not get off the gas when you land a jump.

A plastic pinion is a very bad choice. If you run your model in an extended run the bell shaft will heat up and melt out the center of the pinion. The same went for the gear carrier you swapped out to alloy.

That is a good price depending on what the quality is. Would be nice if they had a side photo to see the width?

An alloy set up in US$ is about 70-80 depending on how you set it up.
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.2317/.f

i will take a pic when i get it.. after speaking to the seller he will sell either just the pinion or the spur.. so i have just bought the spur from him for 25 pound. and it turns out he only 7 miles from i live..lol. :)..

is it posible your loose the c clips due to the upper rear tun buckel hitting the spur gear ?i had this promble on my fg mt and when thru a couple of spurs, befor i fixed the problem and im now running steel spurs for maxium life

could be when i was jumping and crashing when i first got my fg mt the upper rear suspention arms was aloways taking out the spur gears.

in this case its hard to say, we need pictures it might help, but i think aslong as the lay shaft is shin=med and the spacing is all corect it should be ok.

but an after market gear holder wouldnt hurt, and if the e-clips are being a pain use a fg diff gear and a competion fg spur gear holder, no more e-clips and no more stripped spur gears but it will cost you, but its cheaper then replace chewed out plastic gears all the time

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks