gears on a fg

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skinny

ok i have a fg that has been customized a fair bit but started it's life as a Marder. I had it out today and took out the 48thooth gear twice . Now the surface I was runing on was a feild that was really choppy. I ran on the feild for about 1/2 hr. I find it odd it took out the gears as I have run it a fair bit on rough before with no loss. I'm looking for clues as to what to look for for causes of the gear going

also looking for a supplier with the metal replacement in stock that will ship to Canada

Snap some pics of the gears and what the rear end looks lik eso we can see what has been donw before we start guessing. For parts look up DDM and e-mail Brad at www.5thscalecanada.com.

You say the 48T gear, do you mean the spur or the diff gear. Marders should have a 18T and 46T. The 48T steel gear on the diff is pretty well standard on most FG's

i will take pictures in the morning of what it looks like now. i believe it is referd as the spur gear this is not the one on the diff. the small gear off the clutch drives this

if you have the 48, then you are geared for monster tires. that gear is huge and if you have plastic upper arms with any flex or wear, then they can hit the spur. check that upper arm and see if it has rub marks.

change to what Selwa said for gearing if it's a buggy and you will see a lot more clearance. if you have a headkit and pipe, you could even go a smaller spur/larger pinion. they just have to add up to the same total (pinion + spur teeth = 64)

ok i now understand why people are sugesting wrong geaing I said this was a heavily modifed marder which it is but it is nw more like a monster truck it has a bug body and MT tires it has been posted in few sites (not sure if on here) as the Mutant beetle

Ok now we know what we are dealing with. This was my friend's and that blue/purple body is over 5 years old now and has gone through many owners.

The rear end is Elcon so there is no twisting like the FG stock or aluminum rear end. I'm pretty sure there is an aluminum spur gear carrier there too. I think the set screws may be coming loose so that the spur moves and starts to get stripped.Have a look at the layshaft gear as well as the spur carrier and make sure all is tight.

Let us know how it goes!

Not sure but you may also want to check the pinion grubs. It looks like the grub is on the side of the shaft flat and not on the flat side of the shaft?
Looks like you melting out the plastic spur gear.

take a good looka at the bearings n the cluthc bell ad layshaft to.
a litle play there and you end up stripping spurgears.

landing after a jump whit hfull throtel can also cause that problem.

see the feild I was in was kinda smooth but i think it would give the effect of jumping also of and on all the time
just going across the furrows all the time
if there is play in the bearing like the outside to the bearing holder is there a fix of some sort or do I just use loctite bearing retainer

The bearings should have no play inside any of the housings. If they do I'd replace them and put some shims along the layshaft to make sure everything is nice and snug.

Is the large motor mount plastic or aluminum?

ok I have the new replacement steel gear and hub from Action hobbies
so now I'm going to be in there to replace the parts so need to know what to look for and how to set up so I won't toast my new gear or other parts
and help or input would be great . Gear and hub should be here by weekend

When you have it apart take a good look at your bearings and see if they have grease left. They should be smooth. You can tear the bearings down if they are rubber sealed and re grease them. Do you have an alloy gear plate? You might have to heat the plate to remove the bearings if they need work.

I would recommend blue lock tight on the grub screws and I also file my grubs flat on the ends but it is all personal reference.

Make sure you shim the gears to be as together as possible. FG makes shims for the shafts.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks