gears

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've no problems in 2 years on my FG.
Depends on if they mesh properly I guess.
It's more likely that the steel gears will wresck any other material as well - eg if you've got Delrin, alloy, or plastic gears meshing with them.
Al.

how long do the steel gears last do they hold up a while or should i keep a spare set on hand

All depends on your driving style.
I have see a set of Lauterbacher gears mashed in two minutes and the cost 80.00 GBP!!!

Al,I think Glenn's on about MCD gears as its in the MCD section.
J:rolleyes:

i have the cat 5 motor from large scale rc it has a lot of low end power i didnt know if i should keep a spare set of gears in the tool box or not do you think i should drill holes in the gear cover to vent heat

Admitted that MCD's have more gears in synch with each other in a train but the same longevity theory should go for MCD as for FG.
If plastic gears work, steel definitely should, but you'll be passing the loads on to somewhere else, as is usually the case when you strengthen somewhere.
Al.

the steel gears on the mcd are good :) but could be better using a good

alloy gear carrier to keep the gears in good mesh

and also acts as a heat sink .....

K....

I had a bolt vibrate loose from the engine carrier plate, all the way out and my transmission and gears became a washer machine for the bolt. It finally wedged
between the plastic and last small gear and was ground into the base plate.

I could not believe that it did not do any damage to the gears. They still looked new.

Tough gears for sure.

cheers,

HD

I had a bolt vibrate loose from the engine carrier plate, all the way out and my transmission and gears became a washer machine for the bolt. It finally wedged

I could not believe that it did not do any damage to the gears. They still looked new.

Tough gears for sure.

cheers,

HD

You might just have been lucky :) I've just got a set for my evo3 from a guy on ebay who makes them, had plenty of good feed back from other users but have not been out to mash them myself yet. The only reason I got them now (I was planning on getting some eventually anyway) was because I melted my plastics, they had been great up until I replaced the bearing carriers with an alloy set and forgot to transfer the shim so the gears were not meshing nicely which overheated the shaft and melted the gears!! did twice too lol :cup-1: just to make sure!

Tough gears for sure.

cheers,

HD

i had one bolt come out tore up the bolt didnt hurt the gears lol these gears are tuff

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks