Generating Electric Power from Flywheel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutiny1

Up North chainsaws with heated handles are very popular, for both comfort and medical reasons. Using a chainsaw for several hours a day can eventually cause nerve damage in extreme cases feeling loss, the cold climate exponentially increases the likely hood nerve damage can occur. This is all beside the point.

THE POINT is. Has anyone ever thought about using the generator mounted to the outside of the flywheel instead of relying on the receiver battery or secondary battery to run lights.

Not that I'd ever use it but I have wondered if there is a small dynamo like you had on a bicycle many moons ago to do as you suggest. Truth be told, I could never be bothered looking into it though lol

Not sure of the initial application mentioned, but other than that, for a standard fit, where would you put a dynamo / alternator.

Is it via induction, or belt / gear driven?
If the latter, what additional drag (= power loss) would be incurred.

What additional circuitry would be involved.

I love the idea, as I hate getting the charger out, charging up again, ......

Al.

the oddified ecu is powererd by engine so it may be possible

Here is a basic diagram of what I am talking about. The flywheel either has magnets inside, or magnets on the outside, they are picked up by a stationary coil mounted under the flywheel (added weight). So to answer the question about drag on the motor. I don't see any drag being imposed. Instead of the heating elements the power could be diverted to LEDs (In the case of a boat it could power a water pump). The on/off which could be run through the receiver as another channel.
Way off base? or is this trying to hard pimp the car?

magic584x.png

Thats the same as a Formula 1 KERS system, a small electric motor/generator running off the crank. charges when rotating and discharges when a button is pushed. adds weight and engine drag and complexity and kills mechanics but adds 80 hp (well a lot more but they are limited to 80 I believe)
While on this scale it may add too much drag 3-6 hp versus 700 hp. In reality you need to find a 9 volt 10 amp? power supply in compact lightweight form the produces a steady flow or add a storage device to even out the current.

Justin

Thats the same as a Formula 1 KERS system, a small electric motor/generator running off the crank. charges when rotating and discharges when a button is pushed. adds weight and engine drag and complexity and kills mechanics but adds 80 hp (well a lot more but they are limited to 80 I believe)
While on this scale it may add too much drag 3-6 hp versus 700 hp. In reality you need to find a 9 volt 10 amp? power supply in compact lightweight form the produces a steady flow or add a storage device to even out the current.

Justin

intresting ...has any progress been made?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks