Glueing gas tank

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SELWA

Just wondering if anyone has ever glued a gas tank. Mine is 2 pc unit and a part of the seal has split.

Any suggestions?

Thick CA glue?
Silicone/gasket maker?

Since it contacts with gas ans the tank uses a special plastic it's tough to figure out.

I have heard of welding plastic before. I think the principle is the same as welding metal but of course with less heat. Maybe it would work.

Do you think there is a way of heating/melting it back together?

Not sure. The gas tank is a 2 pc molded unit becasue the inside actually has a grid like pattern so the fuel doesn't move around a lot. Most tanks are molded as one pc. It would be nice to find a way to do it instead of mounting a different tank.

I have an older tank that I can try out with. The new version has another vent spot and is slightly smaller.

Im sure you could weld it, I was a window fabricator making plastic (pvc) windows and to weld you would have to heat up both sections with a hot plate then the machine would press them together and hold them tight untill the weld cooled.

Hope this helped in some way.

on 8th scales I always ran the soldering gun over them. get the tip that is a flat iron from prinny auto. gun works without the tip but it makes a smoother finish with

By the way, just make sure you wear a mask and ventilate the area. I heard that the fumes from melted plastic were super toxic and could lead to cancers.

Hey, I believe the tank is either polyethylene or polypropylene and as such will be difficult to glue. These plastics are naturally resistant to chemicals so that makes it difficult to glue them easily. Special purpose adhesives such as this Scotch-Weld adhesive from 3M are designed for this purpose. I'd be curious to know what results you get with the glue from eclectic. Let us know...

Well I tried the Seal all stuff last week before leaving for a short vaction trip. Well it didn't work! After cleaning up the buggy I put some gas in and started it up. Sounded pretty good and seemed ot have no leaks. The when it was time ot put it downstairs from the garage as I lifted it up gas started to come off the chassis. Thanks God I was in the garage!! It was 10pm and I either clean it up so I can still put it in the basement or leave it alone. Decided to clean it up.

On the upside I'll be getting another tank from Elcon under warranty. In the menatime I may try one I saw on DDM's site that may do the trick without spending a fortune.

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.5278/.f

Well the DDM tank came in. It was a Redcat one and still too big to fit in the space I have. But for $20 I can always use it fro another winter project. :eek:mg::eek:mg:

On the plus side my Elcon package came in and they sent me 2!!! Great customer service!!! Now I have a spare just in case!!

I have a site I used when I was in airplanes for fuel tanks.......I am sure you can adapt
something for your use....with a mounting bracket....measure up your project space
see what will fit...some tanks come with adapters for fuel lines....Just a thought...
www.sullivanproducts.com Maybe something will work for you....Slawhammer

Thanks for the tip!!

The stock tank measures around 2" in height and 5.5"x6.5" (L & W) Looks like the closest tank would be a marine style tank. Something good to know!!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks