Has anyone locked the rear Diff on FG Sportsline?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iMotionBaja5T

I've only ran my new sportsline once for about 20 minutes before a coat hanger blew out my rear tire.
When i was driving it i found that it was very hard to get this thing sideways. It gripped too well which is a good thing unless you're trying to drift. I had to get the car up to a good speed, turn the wheel to the left, quickly cut the wheel to the right to shift the wieght while nailing the throttle, then counter steer to keep it going sideways.

It just doesn't like to slide very long before it grips again so i never got a good long smooth drift.

I was planning on locking my rear diff but was scared that the car being rear wheel drive would just make it uncontrollable.
I've driven my Baja 5T with thick diff fluid, bald tires in the grass, and it just does 180s every time you hit the gas no matter how hard you try to keep it straight. I'm just scared that locked diff would make my Sportsline handle that way.

How does your car handle with locked diff?
How did you lock your diff?
Has anybody had any experience with the Viscous Locking Differential Set? Is it worth $340 and how does that handle compared to stock diff and locked diff?

Viscous Locking Differential Set

I have locked diffs on my 1/10 touring car running on abs tires and can drift it all day but that's only because its all wheel drive and its a slower drift that feel more like driving an AWD car on ice. I wanted to get the more realistic rear wheel drive drifting with my sportsline.

try harder/old tires on back if you have too much grip. or add a good pipe so it has the power to break the grip?. could even make some abs or pvc tires too

go to a way thicker diff fluid. if you have 10,000 run 30,000.

go to a harder tire. a hard tire in the cooler weather wont grab so well, and you should get more drifting out of it.

i wouldnt lock the diff. maybe sillypuddy in it so its nearly locked up

i myself would just go with harder tires in the back and a nice pipe for some more power. having to be full throttle and couter steering sounds like a realistic drift to me.

Thanks guys,

After the tire blow out i went ahead and ordered some rear hard compound tires and i'm still waiting for it to get here.

What diff fluid comes stock on a RTR? it seems really thin

Which pipe is a good one to get?

How does it handle with the sillypuddy compared to the thickest fluid?

How much power is too much power? What's the biggest motor that people run in these Sportslines?

I dropped a fully port and polished stuffed crank ESP 30.5cc motor in my Baja 5T and i still have my 26cc stock motor somewhere in my garage. Would it be a good idea to put that head on this motor?

Here's my FG on its first run right after the tire blew out
prom058.jpg

Last edited:
generally you want a 23cc motor in an onroad car. a 23cc will rev higher giving higher top speed, and sacrifice torque helping keep the car planted. being your trying to drift and have a spare 26cc, you could throw it in and see how it works for you.

as for a pipe, im not the best guy to comment. i bought a mielke sidepower pipe off e-bay ($300-350 new) but it hasnt got here yet.

you have a nice pipe on there though. if you need more original snap try the cheapest mod you can do. add a red clutch spring. it engages later so will help break the rear loose. stiffen the suspension...

and if you are planning on changing the grease to dif fluid, check out btb's dif sealing tutorial here on the forum

I see the 08 has the new tank. my bad

Last edited:
120,000 or 300,000 diff lock oil works great for this. I used it in my FG Leopard Race a few years ago with great results. Ofna sells the 120,000 but to go higher I think it's AE that does the 300,000.

the ofna diff lock lube works great in diffs that arent factory sealed, i used to use the stuff in my old hpi nitro rs4. even without sealing the diffs it didnt leak out. the stuff is something like 500,000wt

Thanks for the help guys... I ordered some 300,000 diff lock oil, still waiting for it to come in and still waiting on the new hard compound tires.
I also disconnected the front brake for now just to see how i like it. I'm not used to brakes all the way around with this much grip because i normally use the brakes to help me fishtail the turns or bust quick 180s. If i lose too much stopping power then i'm going to reconnect it.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks