Has someone ever tried li-ion cells for feeding their 1/5 electronics?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dashz

Hey, I recently discovered the Samsung 21700 40T (4000mah) cells and was blown away by the specs:
Test 40Tf Samsung
(No, I don't vape thats why I didnt see them until now)
1608920190779.jpeg
Stable voltage at 15A discharge rate and 30A peak.
So I wonder can this be a safer, more reliable power source for our electric systems?
You know li-ions are less dangerous and suffer from less wear when left fully charge compared to lipos, smaller, lighter and more energy density ( at the expense of current delivery)
Only unknown is; will they sag too much during fast servo operation (even more in a 5ive T or a rovan LT truck that uses 2 1/5 servos) that it wouldnt be reliable?
A typhical 40-50Kg servo seems to eat up to 8-10Amps when stalled, but I don’t think our servos ever reach that state except if there is an issue or end points wrongly adjusted
(and even so I think they might destroy any parts before stalling)

I use to use them with vaping their not a completely safer alternative as they have blown up when shorted and the wrapper is all that protects the positive side of the battery if it tears the positive post is exposed and can short out alot easier. Since the entire case is technically the ground you would only need and extremely small piece of metal to short out the battery.

Lithium ion is used in a lot of high drain consumer electronics, as well as high output flashlights. I think the cell size is the biggest issue with rc.
I know, my e-bike uses them, but even though it uses high quality cells from Panasonic the 54V pack sags quite a bit at full throttle, since don't deliver as much current as a lipo.
Ane about size; in this case for example, the losi5 / rovan lt, battery box is 130x50x30, a pair of these batteries would occupy 70*40*20, they fit nicely to allow soft mounting and protection, thats why I found them so attractive... on paper
I use to use them with vaping their not a completely safer alternative as they have blown up when shorted and the wrapper is all that protects the positive side of the battery if it tears the positive post is exposed and can short out alot easier. Since the entire case is technically the ground you would only need and extremely small piece of metal to short out the battery.
Yes right, the magic about their size in a Losi 5 / rovan lt batt box is that there would be plenty of space left to soft mount and protect the cells.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks