Hello from SouthWest England!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniMental

Howdy All,

I'm Aidan and I'm a multi-skilled engineer located in Lyneham UK, (Work in Yate, Bristol), Currently looking for 1/5 Scale Bashers/Racers/Fun-Goers/Drivers/Compadres/Consigliaries/etc around Wiltshire/Gloucestershire etc [emoji16]

I'm currently trying to compile a direction to head with regards to upgrades on my 2014 Baja 5B SS.. It pretty much standard at present and hasnt ran for about 3 years. Its only had about 3 hours run time since new. I'm intending to get back into bashing it around wasteland etc with the odd track visit if i get acquainted locally.. I live around 15mins from MMR Raceway. Its been so long due to relocating (I'm originally from Barrow-in-Furness), and playing with real cars which will soon be tucked more or less up for winter..... Baja Time hehe

Current spec is as follows:
2014 Baja 5B SS Kit
Homemade rear driveshaft guards
Homemade window kit
Homemade QR rear tubes for the rollcage...

I'm thinking that I want to kind of introduce breakage point so to speak.. Its not my first RC by a long way so i am familiar with it, if a little rusty now perhaps..
I'm on the prowl for the following Upgrades/parts to get me started, but welcome any and all extra advice, that's the whole point of this post i guess..

1) Vertigo Easy Access Clutch housing w/ 19T steel pinion and hostile 55T Spur gear to replace the standard HPI one which was starting to show a little...Flimsyness after just a few hours running..

2) Aluminium front and rear shock towers/bulkhead and outer knuckles to replace the plastic ones

3) RPM Plastic arms which ill keep as spares until i manage to break the standard HPI ones, its had some mental tumbles at full pelt and theyre still going strong.. I'm incredibly reluctant to put too much Alu on it, I want the arms and steering knuckle arms to remain plastic to creat kind of a deliberate weak point which wil flex and or snap rather than breaking something more "internal"... Is this a good idea? I fear Alu stuff will either bend and end my fun or transmit far too much force to the more intricate, "awkward to change in a field" parts on the chassis...

4) Radio gear... I'm currently using an Absima CR3P system which i've had no trouble with and is perfect for what i want.. I'm also using a 6v Hump NiMH pack which never seems to last very long.. I'm debating whether or not to consider lipos or get a new 5100mah 6v NiMH Hump pack and stick with it. My absima receiver is only rated to 6.6v so i'm not sure.. I'm also after a 3ch KillSwitch there several UK located ones on ebay which are cheap, i cant find a superbee anywhere.. Anybody have any other suggestions?

I'm also wanting to upgrade my servos.. My current T/B Servo is a 9kg Power HD one.. Not ideal, i was having issues with throttle reaction before i stopped using it which got more consistent with time.. Im wanting to put a Savox 20KG Waterproof Metal geared one in there for the brake.

The steering servo which came with it i haven't had an issue with but have been looking at a 60kg JX jobbie.. Anybody have any experience of these?

5) Fan Cover/Engine brace - Just for a little extra rigidity...

6) Looking at an aluminium TR style servo saver on ebay.. not sure if theyre any good but i cant find a TR one anywhere..

7) Steel tie rods - I don't like the plastic ones, i'll either buy some, which im not having much luck finding, Or I'll make some at work...

8 ) Exhaust - I like the HPI tuned pipe thats on it, i just get a little irritated with how loud it is given today's society of do-gooders and snitches.. I have looked at the Jet-Pro V4 pipe and Dual Silencer which i think is a nice neat package but I'm Struggling to find one in stock. I cant find any other that i like the look of as i don't really want a stupidly great pipe sticking out everywhere...

9) Wheels and tyres.. My current standard HPI ones are buckled and the rears are a little shredded ( underestimation i think LOL) Ive been lookin at the madmax Bowtie set on RCmodelz.co.uk which are £72 a set.. Any experience of these. Its not that I'm trying to be cheap, i understand you get what you pay for, but they're always going to be a point of heavy stress and abuse..

10) Front Brakes... I'm not interested really in being all flash and having a full hydraulic set for the sake of aethetics.. its just something else to break and ruin my day.

I've decided i would like front discs however to take the bias off the rear end. Ill leave the standard brake on the back with perhaps the RCR upgrade.. The question is, do i go for cable fronts or hydraulic... Sure hydraulic is a nice talking point, but i figure one bad crash or flip etc, especially into another basher/buggy/car with rotating knobbly tires, and a nylon hose is gonna fail long before a cable... Can anybody offer me any headway on this?

I know i cant make it invincible but i want it to be functional, and a little more insured on the robustness front..

Thanks for reading and any subsequent feedback, If anybodys in the Chippenham/Wilts/Swindon/Devizes etc area, feel free to drop me a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

welcome.(y)..I`m in Bristol...;)...and have a very sorted 5bss....:cool:.......ok...so tbh ..imo hydro brakes r shite...:poop:..u need a good servo....25+kg on there and the 3rd pad mod....or the rcr`s.(y).....I run a 35kg savox sa1232sg on mine with 3rd carbon pad instead of the ninja start thing and it locks up on any surface with any tyres I care to run..with stock discs and pads..(y)..
u can see the 3rd pad here and my pcs slipper clutch...(y)
....I run hostile nightmares on rear and front.....although the madmax big digger/giant grip ones on my losi 5 r very good so imo these would work well on the 5b ..(y)
20180422_183645 by evssv, on Flickr
turtle rear brace+1 peace brake is a good mod...
20170729_194921 by evssv, on Flickr
as for exhausts .....I run the ddm dom v2 silenced... and it seems to b the choice pipe on the 5b.....but others r out there......(y)
20180127_210534 by evssv, on Flickr
u def need a fan brace ....the phat dad ones r the best ones imo.

..but a cheapo one will do fine.....u also need the lower rear engine ally brace..
....(y)....yes the tr/ally bell crank set up is a good move...or the threashold servo saver and dark soul brace will help on the stock set up.......(y)here they r
as for kill switch I run 4x switchblades atm and there spot on...plus the maker has a very good fix/service so any issues send it bak to him and he will sort I out asap for u...
the vertigo clutch set up is very good
...I run one on mine with the vert bell/hex pinion and
20170122_144422_zps4i6igysb by evssv, on Flickr
tr gear plate..(y)
as for the rear uprights uwant to run the team chase tower supports as there way better then any ally ones.....again I run these...

and ideally u want the tr tower braces...front/rear....
front
rear
these r a good upgrade aswell imo......I run all the above on mine...(y)
rpm arms r good....got the rears onmine atm..but have a new full set to go on as n when sumin brakes.(y)
these r good ideal1537097986520.jpeg
and these
hostile r the best but cheaper ones r out there...(y)..I run these on my 5ive and Baja...:cool:
as for tx/rx I run 2x flysky gt3b`s with lipo mod....so no more bloody aa`s...:D
I run a 5400mh nimh battery and also a 2300life one in the Baja.......life ones r only 6.6volts.....(y)
I run a hitec hs5745mg on steering and its been spot on for the last 3years now...
I`d def recommend a turtle quik diff case as it makes taking the diff out a 10min job.....:cool:..heres mine with the hemistorm hex fitted
20160323_225925_zpsj7lphvmv by evssv, on Flickr
everything else I`d leave plastic so theres a good few flex/softer areas which aint gonna stress things to the point of failure (y)
I also run the full irc enclosed chassis on mine with the front under brace which is a must

1537099408937.jpeg
heres my flickr album link.. https://flic.kr/s/aHskZ9XfN8
..chk I out and if u have any Q`s fire away....:cool:.....I have plenty of utube vid of it running aswell.....

Last edited:
welcome.(y)..I`m in Bristol...;)...and have a very sorted 5bss....:cool:.......ok...so tbh ..imo hydro brakes r shite...:poop:..u need a good servo....25+kg on there and the 3rd pad mod....or the rcr`s.(y).....I run a 35kg savox sa1232sg on mine with 3rd carbon pad instead of the ninja start thing and it locks up on any surface with any tyres I care to run..with stock discs and pads..(y)......I run hostile nightmares on rear and front.....although the madmax big digger/giant grip ones on my losi 5 r very good so imo these would work well on the 5b ..(y)
20180422_183645 by evssv, on Flickr
as for exhausts .....I run the ddm dom v2 silenced...and it seems to b the choice pipe on the 5b.....but others r out there......(y)
heres my flickr album link.. https://flic.kr/s/aHskZ9XfN8
..chk I out and if u have any Q`s fire away....:cool:.....I have plenty of utube vid of it running aswell.....

Ohh not far away then! I’ve only just realised that MMR raceway is 15mins from my front door lol.

I’ll be looking at MadMax big diggers for bashing I think. I’ve got a few bits coming my way off my list... I wanna go for cable fronts, just to try them, and an RCR rear. I’m not expecting the fronts to be the best thing since sliced bread, but if I can take some bias away from just locking the back all the time, it may help with cornering if I ever take it in a track.

I’ll stick with my hpi pipe until I decide, I like the DDM pipes, just undecided on the layout, that’s what I like about the V4 JetPro, it’s compact and hidden away.

I did post on MSUK in the large scale section but got about 60 views and no reply’s... a bit dead and unenthusiastic really...

My Baja atm... Nice and innocent.. lol.
f275d36bcd2ae7af7e594d3f51c31b68.jpg

41eb9d4501c20dc55716bc8bf05385c7.jpg

yeah if u wanna try the brakes go for it(y).....i spent the last 8 years of my rc life on msuk daily. until February when they banned me for no apparent valid reason...so most of the regulars have now left also and joined me mates new forum
http://anythingrc.co.uk
have raced me baja at mmr but perfer tojus bash around tbh......that's how my 2014 5bss looked when i bought it used.. pretty much stock all bar a few nice mods which I've built on.....

I did post on MSUK in the large scale section but got about 60 views and no reply’s... a bit dead and unenthusiastic really
most of the forums are quiet. there are some regular cor members here and iv started posting here http://anythingrc.co.uk as well.
nothing worse than no response:mad: makes y wanna stick around......NOT!:LOL::ROFLMAO:

most of the forums are quiet. there are some regular cor members here and iv started posting here http://anythingrc.co.uk as well.
nothing worse than no response:mad: makes y wanna stick around......NOT!:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Aye, I don’t expect like hundreds of replies or anything. But when 60odd people view a thread and no one starts a conversation I wind up thinking... why are you on here then? Lol.

Hopefully start sorting some bits for the Baja this week, I’ve PMd the guy that makes switchblades on MSUK as he did them at a better price on there, not had a response as yet though.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks