Help!!! I keep sheering the drive shaft on the clutch bell

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agar205

I there i am new to the FG scene but have had many years in the RC world.
I purchased a second hand Marder and proceeded to re build it (as it was in a state) many many hours later and she is a joy to behold. However the only problem i have now is the clutch bell (on my third one now) keeps sheering where the shaft meets the bell housing. Any Ideas??? or has anybody seen this before. Cheers:detective:

Thanks for the speedy reply, unfortunatly if you mean steel drive gear then a steel one is fitted already, but if you mean a (new clutch bell part other than a 6049 ???) please explain. Just to clarify the clutch bell is shearing from the shaft that the steel gear is placed on. Just to clarify i have a limited slip diff and dog bone drive shafts. could it be a temprature thing as the clutch might be slipping a little causing slight blue tinge/discolour.

I have never had that problem. What motor and gearing? They are steel right?
The only thing that would make sense would be the clutch is not disengaging after throttle down and when you are landing hard the force of the landing is going through the tires then the gears and ends up at the bell shaft to bell weld and that is the weak link. Keep us updated you have a new one for me. Are you using the stock plastic gear plate. I would think if it was a heat issue the plate would melt at the bearing too.
The other thing I was thinking is if the shaft is not straight somehow in the gear plate set up it could be running crooked and the shoes are engaging on one side first each time bending it back and forth.

id put a alloy gear plate on , i guess u have the right gear plate stand off`s in the right hole [ as they are diffrent lengths ] and if not put in the right order it will make the whole assembly on a angle and not run true/straight causing stress on the rotating parts ..
fg_6137_01-1163766306.jpg

as for a new clutch bell id go with the #7472 Tuning clutch bell hardened .

Last edited:
Wow thanks for the info, I have a alloy gear carrier fitted. Believe it or not but i trawled the internet and found the tuning clutch bell 7472 which i am waiting on at the moment. Anything that says hardened must be better. Pretty sure the cluth is disengaging correctly but will check again. The only thing i cant say for sure is the standoffs. I would hate to think i did something so stupid :oops: Fingers crossed that will cure it. Unfortunatley i wont be able to fix it for the next four weeks (off to brazil with work) Once again thanks for the help guys and i will let you know how i get on

Cheers

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks