help need on newbie lipo user

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris18

hi guys

looking into getting a new kit and going brushless and lipo but i have no clue being the age i am and all this being pretty new to me as i'm used to the old style 7.2 tamiya batteries and a classic fast charger

right the kit i want is not a large scale but only 1/10 feel this is the cheapest way to see if i like or before i go large scale

looking to get this motor and ESC

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300698213...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1713wt_962

i just need to know what battery rating i need to run this

i found these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370526947...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2321wt_1185

and this charger

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300702004...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2787wt_987

any help would be appreciated :)

chris;)

Hi Chris, it says it's 1/10 and the speed controller (ESC) has a 60A limit.
It also states 2-3 cell LiPo, or 2S (7.4V) or 3S (11.1V). LiPo does indicate a higher voltage when charged, say 8.4V and perhaps 12.4V respectively.

It also mentions the motor pulls 54A from a 25C LiPo - so it's close to the limit of the ESC, and there's definitely no need for a 40C+ LiPo as you'll blow the ESC!

Hope this helps?
It also mentions a motor of 4370 - this you basically multiply by the voltage to give an idea of the motor revs. This means with 11.1V 3S LiPo you'll be over 48,000 RPM !!
Generally avoid taking a motor over 30,000-35,000 unless it specifically states it can take it as you'll blow the stator to little pieces - I've done that with 3 Novak HV Maxx's in the past!!

Al.

Hi Chris,
Link worked fine.
2 things:
1. It mentions the battery's 30C, and can discharge at 90A - possibly high for the ESC you mentioned as that's 60C.
2. The connector on the ESC is a Deans, but on the battery it's only Tamiya, so will have to be changed. It's easier to locate a LiPo with a Deans already fitted, unless you're handy with a soldering iron.

Al.

Hi Chris,
Link worked fine.
2 things:
1. It mentions the battery's 30C, and can discharge at 90A - possibly high for the ESC you mentioned as that's 60C.
2. The connector on the ESC is a Deans, but on the battery it's only Tamiya, so will have to be changed. It's easier to locate a LiPo with a Deans already fitted, unless you're handy with a soldering iron.

Al.

Hi Al

found a Deans to Tamiya convert lead :)

Last edited:
Hi Chris,
There are several options on Fleabay - had a look.
3.25Ah is very average these days.
If you're running a 1/10 touring car, that'll be good for around 20 minutes, depending on the motor, but on something bigger/heavier, you'll need a bigger capacity.
The 25C/50C means that it can 'burst' 50C for a short period.
50C = 50x battery capacity = 50 x 3.25 = 162.5A, so ... be careful ... all part of the fun.
The battery indicated needs to have the connector soldered onto it - it comes with bare wires. Easily done.
Al.

Hi Chris,
There are several options on Fleabay - had a look.
3.25Ah is very average these days.
If you're running a 1/10 touring car, that'll be good for around 20 minutes, depending on the motor, but on something bigger/heavier, you'll need a bigger capacity.
The 25C/50C means that it can 'burst' 50C for a short period.
50C = 50x battery capacity = 50 x 3.25 = 162.5A, so ... be careful ... all part of the fun.
The battery indicated needs to have the connector soldered onto it - it comes with bare wires. Easily done.
Al.

ok thanks Al any chance you can stick some link up on your Fleebay finds please :0

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks