Help needed please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screamin chicken

My FG MT's rear big gear is not meshing with the layshaft gear. I have had this problem with the same 2 gears and I am now thinking that both gears are worn and that is why it's slipping. I have another rear gear (big one) and I am wanting to know since I have a 2 speed if I can just use the 18 tooth pinion gear on the layshaft.

You can change the pinion gear with many different gears it will just mess with the total gearing. Bigger gear more speed less power. Have you tried spinning the bad gear around on the shaft and using the good side of the tooth? I had that annoying clicking on my FH when I 1st bought it due to bad gears and had to buy new ones.
Good luck.
Is it hard for you to get FG parts? I think alot of the DTX parts should match up for a quick temp fix.

Last edited:
make sure you have alloy large and small motor mounts or it will keep happening , if problem still continues and you want a tough rear end upgrade to the alloy diff holders as well it stops the flexing on the diff as well
hope this info helps .

I have not had a 2 speed. Are you saying because of it you cannot get the correct mesh on the spur and diff gears? I would think you should be able to get the gears to mesh just as if you had a single speed?:blush:

the 18 tooth is too big for a replacement on the layshaft , i no longer have a Fg but i think yours is stock 14 tooth if im correct .if you bought a 15 tooth or i even think someone has put on a 16 tooth then it has more room to mesh , but from the sounds of things you might as well buy a replacenement gear and swap them together 2 new gears so they wear correctly
here the alloy diff holder part number fg#4476

Thank you everyone, I found out that the 18 tooth is to big, so I guess I am going to get 2 new gears and the alloy diff brace and motor mounts and try it again.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks