Help with BOGGY Carb

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aelliott70

My tale starts in this post when I seized the motor on my DBXL 2.0 with a stock G320 engine with 1107 carb.
Noob mistake pretty sure I seized engine <-- read about it here if unfamiliar

I ended up getting another stock top (insert crazy adventure here). After I got new top on, I also decided to try a new carb, and put on a 1242A. Because of new top, I wanted to go through the breakin process. I purchased VP 25:1 premixed fuel. I set the Low to 1 3/8 out, and the high to 1 1/2 out. I turned in the Idle until it barely moved the throttle. Pump the bulb a few times, and started to pull the start. This was the process with my old 1107 carb. With that two pulls and it was going. Anyway I kept turning in the throttle and turning out the low trying to get it to start. Finally, after idle screw was 100% in, and messing around with Low I was able to get it to start and run.

I did approx. six 15 minute heat cycles going a little faster each time after the first two. Then a brand new spark plug failed. I didn't diagnose it properly, and removed engine to check coil (twice!, another nooby story, but let's stay focused lol). I know the Idle isn't supposed to be 100% in, but I figured I'd deal with that when I start to tune.

Now that I'm trying to tune, the low needle (I think) is giving me issues. First the car won't start at all using factory settings and Idle reasonably in. I have to turn idle in a little more, then hold on for dear life! On the low I have to do the factory 1 3/8 + 1 additional turn for it to start, and not take off. If I do factory, it seems to start at almost full throttle! Good thing I'm starting this thing on a stand. Idle is .... the throttle lever is about half way up the cone on the idle screw.

It will sit there and idle with no problem, but when I pull the trigger slowly it bogs down and will shut off, unless I let the trigger go so it can return to idle, or pull the trigger all the way to go to full power.

I've already tried switching gas lines. Turning out the low needle has no effect after a point. If I turn the low in however it starts to rev up really high even though I haven't even reached factory setting.

I've included a video to show what I mean below. I pull trigger slowly and it bogs until shut off. I can pull trigger until it bogs, then let go, and it returns to idle. Or I can pull trigger past that point , and go full throttle.

Thanks for the response Lance. I just replaced the top because I blew up my previous engine. When I lean the low it revs really high, and the tires take off spinning. I'm concerned it may seize again. Are you saying that it will rev up, and if I keep going leaner the revs will fall?

I'm having issues even getting carb to idle where I want. It almost idles when bogging down, just before it dies.

This is a video of me slowly pulling trigger, and the idle actually goes where I want it just before it dies.

Oh, what the heck. Let's put the old stock 1107 carb back in just to make sure I'm not crazy. Idles where I want it, starts easily, and doesn't bog when I slowly squeeze trigger. Are you not entertained?

Yes I'm aware of your previous issues. Your seizure did not come from a improperly tuned lsn it came from a lean hsn. You need to lean the low to remove that partial throttle bog. You will also have to remove some of your idle screw to prevent the vehicle from trying to move on you. Check out my video around the 5:00 minute mark from my engines first start and how I mix between the idle screw and lsn to get a good idle.

Last edited:
I very much appreciate your help Lance. I put the 1242A carb back in, followed your instruction, and the bog went away! Funny thing is that I'm a subscriber to your channel, and had already seen that video, but didn't make the connection to my issue. Thank you once again!

Get your truck on the ground so there is some load on the motor, you don't want to keep revving it so high with no load. Thought you already learned that! :)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks