help with charging usin ultramat 6

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mi16joe

hi im not sure if this is in the right place but here goes i got a fg hum and the bat pack i think is 6v not sure as don't understand the writing on the bats, well problem i have is i got an graupner ultramat 6 and it got a few settings which i don't know what they are and don't wanna damage battrie, firstly from left to right it says ladestorm 0.2 0.5 1.0 amps which one is best for me to use can i use any ? and in the middle it says delta peak 5 10 20 i also don't under stand this can anyone help as to how to safely use charger i know my bat is nicd and not lipo just unsure on the other two settings thanks joe.:confused:

- Ultra-simple to operate
- 1 to 3 cell lipo & 1 to 8 cell NiMH / NiCd
- Charge current 0.2, 0.5 and 1.0 A
- LED charge indicator for NiMH / NiCd or LiPo batteries
- Delta-Peak cut-off detector for NiCd and NiMH cells
- Switchable Delta-Peak voltage: 5 mV, 10 mV, 20 mV per cell
- Constant current /constant voltage charge process for LiPo cells
- Selectable charge current
- Attractive design

What type/size of battery do you have? It should say a Mah rating on the cover or stamped on the actual batteries.

That charger is a low amperage charger. The Peak is for peaking the cells. A lot of other chargers make it automatic yours you will need to pick the rate of peak.

This was one of the more difficult ones to find a users manual in a PDF for. Here you go: Graupner Ultramat 6 Manual PDF Click Here.

hi BTB,it come with the truck ill explain the best i can see from what i can see it got five single bats inside (cells)? i can see some writing on one end here goes maybe you can tell me what setting to leave it on? profitec, pt1500, nicd sc 1.2v, 1500ma, standard charge 300ma for seven hours quick charge is 1500ma for 1.2 hours got knows all magig bunnys to me
thanks joe

Sounds like a 1500mah Nicd battery. That is an older style battery. That battery is going to be a tough one to use since it will drain fairly fast. Plus if it is aged over a year old and has not bee up kept by charging and discharging it may be crapped out by now. I would recommend reading over your owners manual and if you have questions bring it in to your LHS with the battery and run through it with them. You may find out the battery is not going to work for you. If you do not have LHS close there are a few good electric guys here that will be able to help you out step by step. I am one to buy a more costly charger just so it can do the thinking for me.:blush:

LHS = Local Hobby Shop.;)

If you "peak" a battery, that means the charger will charge the pack to its maximum capacity. The charger will automatically shut off and discontinue charging the pack..

If it were my pack and charger, I would put it on the highest charge rate and let it cook. The charger will shut off when it's done charging.

Like BTB said, it sounds like you have a 1500mah pack. (mah= Miliamps/hour), this is the capacity of the pack. The higher the mah, the more it's capacity, therefore the longer the pack will last per charge.

A simple rule of thumb about charging...

By charging at 1 amp it will take approx 10% of the packs capacity to charge, in hours..
Example... You have a 1500mah pack, charging at 1 amp will take approx 15 hours to charge (because it's a 1500mah pack).. 2 amps will be 7.5 hours 3 amps will be 5 hours to charge and so on.. Make sense?

I wouldn't charge an old pack much harder/higher than 4-5 amps. Anything harder, it will just "false peak" the pack and could potentially burn up the pack.

After you have that all figured out, I can explain how to "Cycle" your pack to bring it back to life, but that is for another time... I don't want to overwhelm you anymore than I already have. :) I have "Race" packs, that I found in the Garbage at the local track back in the 90's, that are still in use!!

Trip..

cheers for help guys so i sort of get it now yeah its and old bat ive had the car 18 months used it once and was prob in the shop few years before me ownin it but i have now charged it and it seems to be working ok how long it will last each time im not sure. but im trying to keep costs down and still have fun for the mo ill have to look into battries soon as and when really if its not broke don't fix it ha ha!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks