Help with pipe installation on 5T

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Macdonald

I installed OBR motor and a Victory pipe. I installed the motor first, and put the header on with the motor in the truck (now I think I should have put the header on the motor first, is that correct?). I found it really hard to get the exhaust bolt on the right sufficiently tight because it's blocked by the bend in the header pipe. I used a ball-end hex bit, but couldn't get an angle that allowed me to tighten it down really well. Is there some tool available that allows you to get in there and tighten properly?
Capture.PNG
Now I have fuel/oil leaking from the port after a couple idle/cool cycles. For now I'll put the stock can back on, but I'd really appreciate any tips with respect to tuned pipe installation and those bolts.

UPDATE: I put a piece of paper towel under the port and pipe and ran for about 30 seconds. The area under the header/pipe seal (where the red rubber coupling goes) seems to be the source of the leak. I still want to know how to tighten the bolts as I'm not 100% confident on that, but in this case it seems to be that coupling.

So what do you guys suggest re the coupling? Is it poorly positioned? (I can do more pictures if it helps). Should I put a clamp on the lower section where it's leaking?

Finally, does that much fuel/oil in exhaust mean I'm running too rich?

Thanks!

Steve

Last edited:
I installed OBR motor and a Victory pipe. I installed the motor first, and put the header on with the motor in the truck (now I think I should have put the header on the motor first, is that correct?). I found it really hard to get the exhaust bolt on the right sufficiently tight because it's blocked by the bend in the header pipe. I used a ball-end hex bit, but couldn't get an angle that allowed me to tighten it down really well. Is there some tool available that allows you to get in there and tighten properly?
View attachment 44417
Now I have fuel/oil leaking from the port after a couple idle/cool cycles. For now I'll put the stock can back on, but I'd really appreciate any tips with respect to tuned pipe installation and those bolts.

UPDATE: I put a piece of paper towel under the port and pipe and ran for about 30 seconds. The area under the header/pipe seal (where the red rubber coupling goes) seems to be the source of the leak. I still want to know how to tighten the bolts as I'm not 100% confident on that, but in this case it seems to be that coupling.

So what do you guys suggest re the coupling? Is it poorly positioned? (I can do more pictures if it helps). Should I put a clamp on the lower section where it's leaking?

Finally, does that much fuel/oil in exhaust mean I'm running too rich?

Thanks!

Steve
Mine was the same. Just cut the allen wrench shorter so it can fit in. Thats what i did and it worked fine.

Damn that was pretty bad, you running very rich? Anyways I always install using house clamps, never leaked so far.

Edit: Sorry saw that it leaked from the seal now, yup pretty poopy angle there they should have thought of that.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I got the pipe sorted out and there's no leak any more (hose clamp + tuning -- it was way too rich).

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks