HELP with tickover please.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shedjim

Hi all. I'm new to Large scale petrol but am loving it.
I have a FG monster truck (E bay) with a cleaned and oiled K&N filter and standard pipe.
My problem is that when braking to a halt my engine cuts out. It seems to get worse the hotter the engine gets. It runs Fine all other times and starts and ticks over straight away.
I have checked spark plug colour,air leaks,servos set correctly mixture scews set to 1 1/2 H 1 3/8 L.
I have been tinkering with settings but a near fatal accident halted testing on sunday (hhhmmm have i got the cash for ally bits ??????hhhhmm)
Anyone got any ideas or do i just need more tinkering ????
Cheers Jim.

sounds to me like gasket,did you check to see if there is a gasket blown/leaking if there is anysign of oil leaking there you are drawing air on return piston stroke.

either that or your carb is drawing air someplace!!

take off carb and check it meticiously.

if either of there fails you you have a piston ring/compression problem that only raises its ugly head when the heat makes it a problem to hold compression from heat expansion.

dc2 man

I would also start 1st with your throttle/brake set up.

With the motor off look at the carb arm that the linkage is attached too.

DSC05257.jpg

Is it fully closed or is it slightly throttled?
You can also look to see if the other side of the arm is hitting the idle screw.

DSC01487.jpg

If you find its throttled up slightly adjust the linkage or TX to close it off completely. Then you can use the idle screw to idle it to a purr.

Last edited:
Hi all. I'm new to Large scale petrol but am loving it.
I have a FG monster truck (E bay) with a cleaned and oiled K&N filter and standard pipe.
My problem is that when braking to a halt my engine cuts out. It seems to get worse the hotter the engine gets. It runs Fine all other times and starts and ticks over straight away.
I have checked spark plug colour,air leaks,servos set correctly mixture scews set to 1 1/2 H 1 3/8 L.
I have been tinkering with settings but a near fatal accident halted testing on sunday (hhhmmm have i got the cash for ally bits ??????hhhhmm)
Anyone got any ideas or do i just need more tinkering ????
Cheers Jim.

Did you get it figured out? Let us know if you need some help...

Trip..

Many thanks for all your help.
I haven't played about with it yet. Whilst fixing damage to truck i tried to take my finger tip off with a stanley knife, not my best move, so now i'm in a worse state than my truck.
Hope to be able to play around again at the weekend.
Thanks again for all your help. Will let you know how i get on.

LMAO you went to my same school of mechanics I take it. I usually dremmel my fingers though or drill bits. Be like Tony Iommi from Sabbath and glue some small thimble to the finger tip and get back at it :D

Many thanks for all your help.
I haven't played about with it yet. Whilst fixing damage to truck i tried to take my finger tip off with a stanley knife, not my best move, so now i'm in a worse state than my truck.
Hope to be able to play around again at the weekend.
Thanks again for all your help. Will let you know how i get on.

Keep the fingers attached, you'll miss them.. Hope you are ok..

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks