hi guys, some mutilator 6 help! needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi guys i am new to this site and what a great site it is, i have just got myself a used mutilator 6 and it needs a new body shell, can anyone tell me if the new better looking body is stronger than the old box shaped thing ?
also i have noticed the standard shocks are leaking oil and are best part of uslless, do fg marder shocks fit and are they much better ,
gratefull for any help , mutilator steve

hi guys i am new to this site and what a great site it is, i have just got myself a used mutilator 6 and it needs a new body shell, can anyone tell me if the new better looking body is stronger than the old box shaped thing ?
also i have noticed the standard shocks are leaking oil and are best part of uslless, do fg marder shocks fit and are they much better ,
gratefull for any help , mutilator steve

hi mate welcome to the site, i had one of these last year and the shocks on mine leaked after the second run out:2guns:the standard fg off road shocks do fit and mine didn't leak while i had mine but i did end up selling it as it was sat at home broken more times than i had it out due to the lack of parts in the uk at the time but you should be ok as rossendale models now stock them, as for the shells the new style shell is better as it sits closer to the role cage but i modded mine and cut new holes in the side pannels which made it sit a lot closer and not as much flex, you could also ruff up the plastic around the holes and fit some fiber glass strips to give the holes a little added strength

ok thanks , the mutilator i have got is as new and has only been used a couple of times but the shocks have leaked oil on to the floor were i left it, really poor ! i will try and get some fg ones off of ebay, have got some running issues at the moment but have got a new plug and some fresh fuel so hoping this and a tune up will sort this out.

Try fg supply, pretty good prices there. Most duratrax parts fit. I put a smartech Titan body on mine, I had to use the Duratrax MT roll cage, I bought the roll cage from tower hobbies, but I don't think they sell parts for the Firehammer or firehammer MT anymore. Do a search for "Mutilator Convertion" on this forum and it should give you some pics of what I did. One thing that is a must is the large alloy motor mount. I had a problem with the plastic motor mount moving on me and stripping the spur gear. When I bought mine I had to order it from germany, it's the only place that it was available at the time. I'm sure others will chime in also.

ok thanks , the mutilator i have got is as new and has only been used a couple of times but the shocks have leaked oil on to the floor were i left it, really poor ! i will try and get some fg ones off of ebay, have got some running issues at the moment but have got a new plug and some fresh fuel so hoping this and a tune up will sort this out.

some alloy shocks on ebay now for £50 item number 180363987794
some standard ones too starting at £14.99 item number 180364003310

I bought this body for Meli's (a member on here and my fiancee) from arrow models. He doesn't have them listed on his site, but if you send him an email he can get one sent out.I think I paid $50 U.S plus shipping.

This is a Hobby Pro body... I think it looks a hell of a lot better than the stock rollerskate body!

NewCamera241-2.jpg
He also has them in red and gray.
http://www.arrowmodels.com/

As far as parts, anything for the FG Marder or the Duratrax Firehammer buggy will fit on the Mutilator. Except for the Chassis...

thanks for all your replies , some people say all the marder part fit and some say none fit so am not to sure there , i have found on the rossendale models web site recomended by charlie boy a mut 6 body shell for just £25, what a bargain ! just need to check its the later style shell like the one on melli's, have seen melli's mutilator on youtube ,looks cool with that new shell on.
still having running problems at the moment so want to get this sorted before i spend any money on making it look good.

Trust me, 99% of the FG parts are interchangeable with the Mut! The Chasis is square though, where the FG is tapered...
Duratrax Firehammer (FG Clone)
FireHammer.jpg

Mut-6
NewCamera239.jpg

If anybody has a good FG Marder pic at this angle please post it...

it ran like a bag of sh1t when i got it so read up base carb settings on this site and gave it a go , it starts up easily and idles not to bad but bogs down badly on anything more than light throttle, i have since changed the plug and drained the fuel and filled with fresh, it seems to be a bit better but is still not 100%, i have played around with the L screw but if i get it to pull better it struggles to idle , it now goes ok but i still have to feed the throttle in, if i give it full throttle from idle it still bogs down a bit before picking up, i have set the H screw at 1.5 turns out, the only mod to the car is a k & n style filter, don't suppose this make much difference , i will try again when i've got some time, is really bugging me now !

most FG parts do fit, and these are the ones i found to be different
diff drive cups won't swap out as the gears inside are different
the physical size of the diffs are the same so you can swap diffs and drive cups
gear carrier is different the HobbyPro gear carrier is longer, FG gears add up to 64...as in 18/46 20/44 22/42 etc
HobbyPro add up to 68 ( i think, someone correct me if i'm wrong) and you lose a tooth if runnung steel gears . i used to run a 19/48 and a 21/46
there is an extra section in the roll cage on the HobbyPro
and the fuel tank is different
main probs i had with mine was the layshaft gear would come loose if the engine wasn't perfectly aligned......and FG is far more forgiveng
i drilled and pinned mine in the end......not easy as the layshaft is hardened
the fuel tank lid would leak so i had to make a strap to hold it closed
the standard tyres are crap but FG rims and tyres fit, as do XRC which i found to be a cheaper option
i had loads of fun with mine and as bits broke i swapped with FG parts
the body shell was too thick and broke very easily so i fitted a fibreglass monster beetle shell
zoo004.jpg
if i can think of anything else i'll post it up
:ph34r:

thanks for all the fg advice , i've no dought it will end up with plenty of them parts on it as things break , as far as my running is conserned ,thanks for the link trip but have already seen it on youtube, i have tried to tune it as in your video and with no luck, if my mut ran anything like that one i would be well happy ! i think my next line of action is to fire her up and look for air leaks, i have seen on the forum someone said the insullator block on cy engines can crack causing air leaks, also if i hold the car off of the ground at full throttle and try and set up the H screw the engine revs go up and down constantly, so could point to a posible leak , i will give it a go and let you know, once again thanks for all your advice.

Last edited:
had a good spray around the carb today and all seemed ok there , however when i removed the air filter there was some small rubber strips witch had come out of the inside of the air filter on the intake of the carb, i think this is were the filter is made and have now blown all the loose bits off, so my next step when i've got some time is to take the carb off and give it a clean out, fingers crossed !

no not had time this week , will do next week thoe , stock filter was gone when i got it, it has a K&N style filter on it witch could be the problem due to rubber strips peeling off and going in to the carb, have got all the loose bits off of the filter just need to get the card stripped to see if there are any bits in there causing my problems, the thing is as new so its got to be something simple. i hope!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks