home made steering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tzcqdg

Hi

First post and first large rc project, having trouble with the steering so after any help/experience.

I didnt want to start from scratch so bought an old 50cc quad and wanted to convert to rc. Decided to go down the wiper motor route as on a shoe string budget for the project and stand alone seems fine. However when connected to the steering column doesn't turn the wheels, not sure if motor doesn't have enough grunt or if it my bad home made system with maybe to much friction ??

thumbnail_IMG_20190511_095131.jpgthumbnail_IMG_20190511_095136.jpgthumbnail_IMG_20190511_095136_1.jpg

First, welcome to LSF. Turning a peewee ATV in to a RC is a cool idea.

I can't really tell what's going on with your linkage. I'm guessing that it is connected to the bolt going through the steering tube. I even put my glasses on to try and figure it out.:geek: It looks like the bolt is jammed against the frame.

Check Ebay for small rack and pinions. https://www.ebay.com/i/401652208269?chn=ps

This guy's example of a rack and pinion might be your best bet and be inline with your current build budget.

Keep us updated of your progress.

What he said ^^^^^ it also looks like there's too much friction between the linkages becuase all that rust, also looks like there's no spacing between them and their rubbing, I'm kinda talking out my ass right now tho ?

Thanks for the comments really appreciate the help - think first step is to get some kind of rack and pinion system which can work in a smoother way.

Like they said, it is hard to see from the picture but it looks like the linkage is fighting itself.
If you loosen the nut on the wiper motor axle, can you freely turn the wheels by hand.
What are you using for the motor controller. Do you have an h-bridge to supply 12 volts?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks