how do you run your motor in.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOT right off the bench. They are all rollers and needle bearings and the ring don't care how fast it's going. If it fails it was gonna anyhow. Might as well find out right away so you can build another. Lol.

Get it hot and break it in at the temps you will normally be running it at.

you are 100% correct daniel.

i know it is hard for some of you to accept this theory of motor tech here with these engines. roller bearings and needle bearings really need no run in. and he is correct about the ring. i due like a heat cycle though cause imo, it does help with mating the metals. it goes back to some old iron working fundamentals. wether they are right or wrong in this application, im not 100% sure.

i do know that you guys that run your engines in rich and easy are doing more harm than good. i gaurantee an engine i run will have more compression after a gallon than an engine that was run in rich and easy for the first half to one gallon of fuel. the heat is key to a well seated ring.

as daniel said, run it like you gonna run it for the rest of its life and i promise you will have a good running engine with extended life over a slobbery rich ran in engine.

i talk to some builders and they give out these lengthy, elaborate break-in instructions to cover there butts. if they said, run it balls out they would have so many returned engines it would be crazy. the reason is not because that is wrong way to run it in. it is because most people cant tune an engine properly. (not saying any of you guys cant tune, that is what builders actually told me). so, by telling the customer to take it easy on the engine they get you running on the safe side and that gets them distant from the purchase date before the buyer goes out and lean seizes the engine or fries the ring and plating from running to lean.

food for thought.:D

you are 100% correct daniel.

i know it is hard for some of you to accept this theory of motor tech here with these engines. roller bearings and needle bearings really need no run in. and he is correct about the ring. i due like a heat cycle though cause imo, it does help with mating the metals. it goes back to some old iron working fundamentals. wether they are right or wrong in this application, im not 100% sure.

i do know that you guys that run your engines in rich and easy are doing more harm than good. i gaurantee an engine i run will have more compression after a gallon than an engine that was run in rich and easy for the first half to one gallon of fuel. the heat is key to a well seated ring.

as daniel said, run it like you gonna run it for the rest of its life and i promise you will have a good running engine with extended life over a slobbery rich ran in engine.

i talk to some builders and they give out these lengthy, elaborate break-in instructions to cover there butts. if they said, run it balls out they would have so many returned engines it would be crazy. the reason is not because that is wrong way to run it in. it is because most people cant tune an engine properly. (not saying any of you guys cant tune, that is what builders actually told me). so, by telling the customer to take it easy on the engine they get you running on the safe side and that gets them distant from the purchase date before the buyer goes out and lean seizes the engine or fries the ring and plating from running to lean.

food for thought.:D

Go try and sell your story to these guys :lol:
http://www.oneillbrothers.com/

hmmm. lets just say, i talk to these guys quite a bit. i consider them my friends! read between them lines.

i really don't wanna get in stink over this. we all have opinions, some have knowledge, some have experience and knowledge, and some have all this along with an educated opinion. and....., some just have opinions!

lets get along, we can run our engines in how we believe is the best way, the poor original poster has to decide how he wants to do it, lol.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks