How much exhaust smoke is good or bad?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peteolheadz100

Is there a specific amount of smoke that your looking for from these 2 stroke engines to know the engine is properly lubed while running? Im using 25/1 mix as recommended but before running factory settings on the carb i barely saw any smoke while running , especially while accelerating .. now that i tuned the car a bit im seeing a healthly good amount of smoke even while idle and througout the whole acceleration from beginning to WOT....also notice the power is great compared to before when i seen less smoke? Any feedback eill be appreciated

Did the settings change much from before tuning and after tuning do you remember.
It will be smoky, and some will depend on the oil and type, not much.

Al.
No not much what I did was open the idol about an eighth of a turn to a half a turn and also richen the low-speed needle a little bit about an eighth of a turn and the same with the high speed needle

Reading the spark plug is a more accurate way to determine proper mixture. Black too rich, white too lean, dark brown good to go.

Is there a specific amount of smoke that your looking for from these 2 stroke engines to know the engine is properly lubed while running? Im using 25/1 mix as recommended but before running factory settings on the carb i barely saw any smoke while running , especially while accelerating .. now that i tuned the car a bit im seeing a healthly good amount of smoke even while idle and througout the whole acceleration from beginning to WOT....also notice the power is great compared to before when i seen less smoke? Any feedback eill be appreciated
Put the truck on a stand and start it. Use factory settings on the carb. The low needle is only for 1/3 throttle rev the engine to see good smoke.If there is a lot of smoke the engine is to rich, small increments on the adjustment screw to lean it out.if you run it and the engine has a popping sound its to lean fatten it up you will seize the engine. The high needle is for 2/3 to full throttle. You can always pull the plug if its black and sutty it to rich. It should have the color of a brown paper bag.its always a good idea to replace the plug after you break it in. Than go to 28:1 for even more power and fun later!!!

Reading the spark plug is a more accurate way to determine proper mixture. Black too rich, white too lean, dark brown good to go.

Dear Machine Head,
I agree reading the color of the spark plug is a great indicator.
But at the track reading the smoke and sound saves you from removing the body to get to the plug.
My Vekta 5 body is a pain to remove.
In Florida the humidity and temperature changes daily and ruins my perfect carburetor setting.
With me anyways, it hit and miss, seeing smoke means no seized pistons.
Best Regards,
William E. Burrows Jr.
AKA: Long Block Kaken Vekta 5.jpg

What oil are you using. Some oils are low smoke formulas. Tuning isn't about smoke. I tune my motors by sound. Search, "obr tuning" on YouTube and watch there video. Basically exactly what I do.

What oil are you using. Some oils are low smoke formulas. Tuning isn't about smoke. I tune my motors by sound. Search, "obr tuning" on YouTube and watch there video. Basically exactly what I do.

Dear PyroM!ke247,
I use Motul 800 2T Off Road Racing Synthetic Ester Core engine oil.
I have watched that OBR video multiple times.
They mix at 28-1, the Long Block is modified and the Carborator is not a Zenoah g320 stock.
I believe they run a Bartolone pipe.
I run a Bartolone pipe on my Losi 5ive-T and a Dominator pipe on my Vetkta 5.
I mix at 25-1 and my Zenoah Long Block and Carborator are stock on both vehicles.
The sound is completely different for each one.
I like to see a little smoke on the low end and on the high end with no bogging, and a nice brown spark plug.
It works for me. Everyone has their own method as long as use avoid seizing the piston. IMG_0454.jpg

It doesn't matter if it's a cy 23 with a stock can or a scopod 72 with a pipe if you tune it by sound listening to the topend pops or bottom end bogging if you knew what I was talking about you would understand it. I also jetted my motocross dirtbikes this way and they are so crisp. Also after I tune like this I always pull the plug and check the color after half a tank or so (it takes at least a half tank to check the spark plug electrode accurately because you have to let the carbon burn on it for a bit at the specific tuned temperature) it always looks like dry hursheys chocolate. Here's my 5t listen to it brap brap at 1:50 thats the sound im talking about perfect tune no topend pops or bottom end bogging after extended idling...

Last edited:
It doesn't matter if it's a cy 23 with a stock can or a scopod 72 with a pipe if you tune it by sound listening to the topend pops or bottom end bogging if you knew what I was talking about you would understand it. I also jetted my motocross dirtbikes this way and they are so crisp. Also after I tune like this I always pull the plug and check the color after half a tank or so (it takes at least a half tank to check the spark plug electrode accurately because you have to let the carbon burn on it for a bit at the specific tuned temperature) it always looks like dry hursheys chocolate. Here's my 5t listen to it brap brap at 1:50 thats the sound im talking about perfect tune no topend pops or bottom end bogging after extended idling...

I appreciate the advice, but I do know what you are talking about.
I feel that I am getting the most out of my motors by running them a little rich.
Best Regards,
William E. Burrows Jr.

I have 2 of the modified g320 (Vekta & 5ive T) Both new since February. I sent 1 into Performance Unlimited and Les, the owner, advised me that I should run 10oz. per gallon of Amsoil. He said the compression of the modified engines made them different. Upon further research some other builders recommend 8oz. claiming that more oil equaled more HP. Others argued that fuel equaled more HP and accepted the explanation given for the oil equaling more HP to a limit. I am currently experimenting with 8oz. and my 5ive T will break from the pavement and do donuts in the same spot with the tires ballooning. I haven't been able to do that without brushless. Very fast

I appreciate the advice, but I do know what you are talking about.
I feel that I am getting the most out of my motors by running them a little rich.
Best Regards,
William E. Burrows Jr.

ProM!ke,
You know your poop when it comes to tuning.
I am just a basher not a master tuner of engines. I appreciate your advice.
Just to break this down.
1. At idle some smoke with popping.
2. Full throttle at a dead stop, no bogging and fast acceleration with some smoke.
3. Half thottle good speed some rapid popping.
4. Full throttle no popping with a little smoke?
Am I close to your description of tuning by sound?

I have 2 of the modified g320 (Vekta & 5ive T) Both new since February. I sent 1 into Performance Unlimited and Les, the owner, advised me that I should run 10oz. per gallon of Amsoil. He said the compression of the modified engines made them different. Upon further research some other builders recommend 8oz. claiming that more oil equaled more HP. Others argued that fuel equaled more HP and accepted the explanation given for the oil equaling more HP to a limit. I am currently experimenting with 8oz. and my 5ive T will break from the pavement and do donuts in the same spot with the tires ballooning. I haven't been able to do that without brushless. Very fast
Let Me Know how it tins out.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks