How to remove layshaft gear cog?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drift king

Hi, I new to the forum and new to large scale models, I have striped the 16 tooth gear cog that drives the rear diff on my Carson c5, I have alloy engine and diff mounts in the post to try stop this happening again but after searching the how to section still can't get the gear from the layshaft assembly, iv tried heating with a mini blow torch, but there's not much room to remove it easily... Can anyone point me to a how to or help me out with this?

Thanks
Graham

I imagine this is the same for most 1/5 scale models so don't be shy in giving me some friendly advice (I could use it!). I thought there might be some kind of tool for the job but I can't find it.

Haha, yes... Is it supposed to come of easily? Because mine dosent even turn easily, I stripped the back end off got pliers on the cog and a spanner on the gear side and managed to turn it but can't see a way to remove it without some sort off puller.

I see this thread has had a few views, but there aren't any answers so just incase people are having the same problem il let every one know what the problem was and how I eventually fixed it...

While I had been out bashing around the car park the layshaft cog had loosened slightly and spun round moving out of line, the three set screws had made gouges in the lay shaft and jamed it's self fast. Never having removed one of these before I never realised how easy it should be to come off, mine would only just turn with pliers and a small shifting spanner, I got it back into place and took it out again the next day, it worked fine for 15 mins but then stripped the teeth on the layshaft and damaged the diff gear also.

This time after heating the cog and failing to remove it, I stripped back everything and removed the engine... Got the layshaft in a vice a shifter on the under side of the cog and hammered upwards until eventually the cog came off, the layshaft was so bad I had to hacksaw the end off it to get the rest of the assembly apart.

New parts all fitted now along with alloy engine mounts, out today for testing but there's the mother of all carboot sales in my bashing carpark... Damn it! Lol.

Anyway hope that helps anyone in the same situation.

Dk

In future

it is probably an idea to take the engine out and drop the engine mounts that way you can roast it without fear of damaging anything around it...

also you can get bigger tools it to pull it..you could also hold the gear in a vice and use a hammer and punch to remove the shaft..

remember the gear is scrap so yo can also use a hacksaw to cut it off..

It is very hard to remove if you leave it all attached to the engine as you will have noticed. you have no room to get at it..

sorry I'm a bit late as you figured it out....

Last edited:
Better late than never mate, that was just the kind of answers I was looking for when I posted this question... But it's all good now, had it out today and it's running great with the new mods, next up is alloy gear carrier and adjustable diff.

Last time mine stripped I couldnt unscrew the grub screws to take the gear off so stripped the layshaft out so it was just shaft and gear, dropped the shaft loosely into a closed vice so the gear was sat on top & drifted the shaft out downwards with a piece of 10mm bar. The shaft needed the flats filing to make good again but it was still useable.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks