How to start FG Leopard?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daivik

Hi.

Got an FG Leopard that hasn't been used for a good amount of years. And I was wondering how to start it up?? Where the spark (type thing) is??

Because I know I must do something about mixing the fuel with oil or something like that?? If you could advise me to a website or tell me it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi.

Got an FG Leopard that hasn't been used for a good amount of years. And I was wondering how to start it up?? Where the spark (type thing) is??

Because I know I must do something about mixing the fuel with oil or something like that?? If you could advise me to a website or tell me it would be appreciated.

Thanks

get some super unleded fuel and some 2stroke oil (i use king cobra venom) mix it to 25:1 which is 40ml oil to 1L petrol, fill the tank and then pump it via the bubble on top of the carb till the bubble is full, put the choke on (the lever on the sid of the carb) then pull the pull start till it coughs then take the choke off and pull it over again should start after a couple of pulls if it doesn't then it may need settin up again!

let us know how you get on, if it dunt start then i'll talk you through set up!!

get some super unleded fuel and some 2stroke oil (i use king cobra venom) mix it to 25:1 which is 40ml oil to 1L petrol, fill the tank and then pump it via the bubble on top of the carb till the bubble is full, put the choke on (the lever on the sid of the carb) then pull the pull start till it coughs then take the choke off and pull it over again should start after a couple of pulls if it doesn't then it may need settin up again!

let us know how you get on, if it dunt start then i'll talk you through set up!!

Thanks! Will do when I start to set it up! Little to dark now :( but if i get time (have a mock and another test tomorrow) I will let you guys know how it went 2day.

daivik check on ebay there is some times a guy on there selling

1 litre mixing bottles you put in the petrol then top up to the mark

with oil to the correct mix you want :)

and yes you need petrol and oil mix each time

its better to mix small ammounts at a time as if you mix by the gallon

and leave it standing not used for a while you will get:2guns:eek:il separation

which is not good:clown:

If they have them at this rc shop i might be going to at the weekend i might get one. They are 1/5th scale racers so there is quite a good chance they might have something like that in their store. but anyway
I tried and followed exactly what you said charlie boy, but THEY BLUDY THING JUST WON'T START!! :( quite depressing cause I got all excited.:helpsmilie:

So I think I might need that setup. Also how do I check if my spark plug is working?? It could have died after a long time??

And also what way should the lever be for chocking it and it being normal?? (90degrees so you can see the flat side or 180degrees so the flat face is facing forward/ the lever is pointing down??)

thanks for the help by the way.

If they have them at this rc shop i might be going to at the weekend i might get one. They are 1/5th scale racers so there is quite a good chance they might have something like that in their store. but anyway
I tried and followed exactly what you said charlie boy, but THEY BLUDY THING JUST WON'T START!! :( quite depressing cause I got all excited.:helpsmilie:

So I think I might need that setup. Also how do I check if my spark plug is working?? It could have died after a long time??

And also what way should the lever be for chocking it and it being normal?? (90degrees so you can see the flat side or 180degrees so the flat face is facing forward/ the lever is pointing down??)

thanks for the help by the way.

to check the spark plug just remove it it should be a light brown colour (not black), plug it back into the plug lead and while you pull the engine over touch the plug against the head (hold the lead not the plug or you'll get a belt off the plug :nono::nono:) and see if it sparks.

as for the choke......lever pointin to the rear choke off, lever pointin down choke on.

when you remove the plug see if it's wet if so it's flooded. check the colour too as above it should be alight brown colour, if it's black then it's been runnin rich and fouled.

to reset it up you need to reset the carb by turninin both the high and low needles on the carb, to do thi you need to turn the needles all the way in (only till they stop DO NOT over tighten them) then follow this vid on set up(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jewDW3G4LKg). if your plug is black you can clean it but i've tried b4 and had probs so best bet is to replace with a new one sayin that if it's not been run for a long time i'd just change it anyway mate :cool2:

Last edited:
yeah the yellow cut of switch is fine. Identified the problem. :(
:(

Basically you have the glow/spark plug. then that is connected to the engine and the rubber (right angled) sparker thing, which has a cable into the engine??

Get me so far??

And so i have just realise that the cable coming out from the engine and into the sparker has been disconnected (as in broken). is there any easy way to fix this?? (if we get the part) it looks to me as if it requires the engine to be opened up??
:boat:
Please give advice.

yeah the yellow cut of switch is fine. Identified the problem. :(
:(

Basically you have the glow/spark plug. then that is connected to the engine and the rubber (right angled) sparker thing, which has a cable into the engine??

Get me so far??

And so i have just realise that the cable coming out from the engine and into the sparker has been disconnected (as in broken). is there any easy way to fix this?? (if we get the part) it looks to me as if it requires the engine to be opened up??
:boat:
Please give advice.

do you mean the wire has come out of the coil???? (sorry coil behind the casein)

HALELUJA! THE LEOPARD IS AWAKE! (Cheesy i know :p)

Nothing was broken, it was just me being a noobie. :p

and OMG THE THING IS SO AWESOME! It has SO MUCH ACCELERATION!!! The wheel just rip up the grass!!! Has a little go with it on the grass in the garden. However I just wanted to ask some questions.

For the third servo, what servo mount do i need?? (because the servo holes are too small for the rack thing on the body.)

Also Charlieboy could you tell me how to reset the leopard??

Just to clarify, is is turn the HSN and LSN anti-clockwise until they stop turning freely/losely. and then tune from there.

ahh the joy of starting a petrol engine. 1 pull and BAM!! it lives. :p

HALELUJA! THE LEOPARD IS AWAKE! (Cheesy i know :p)

Nothing was broken, it was just me being a noobie. :p

and OMG THE THING IS SO AWESOME! It has SO MUCH ACCELERATION!!! The wheel just rip up the grass!!! Has a little go with it on the grass in the garden. However I just wanted to ask some questions.

For the third servo, what servo mount do i need?? (because the servo holes are too small for the rack thing on the body.)

Also Charlieboy could you tell me how to reset the leopard??

Just to clarify, is is turn the HSN and LSN anti-clockwise until they stop turning freely/losely. and then tune from there.

ahh the joy of starting a petrol engine. 1 pull and BAM!! it lives. :p

give it a run and then check the plug if it's a light brown colour leave it and enjoy :clown: if the plug is black the yeah turn the screws in till they stop and then the "L" out 1 1/4 and the "H" 1 1/2 then run it and tune from there :cool2:

as for the sevo mount part number 5014/1 or 5014/2, these are what you need mate!

Thanks, but where can i search for these parts?? Any good websites/places??

Also I NEED A FAILSAFE! Any ideas??

(Whilst on a stand, turned the remote off to do the usual tests and the thing just accelerated and didn't stop.)

Thanks, but where can i search for these parts?? Any good websites/places??

Also I NEED A FAILSAFE! Any ideas??

(Whilst on a stand, turned the remote off to do the usual tests and the thing just accelerated and didn't stop.)

i use a remote kill switch mate that runs off the third channel, failsafes are ok but they only pretect against signal loss, the kill switch kills the engine if you lose signal, tx battery or rx battery so pretects against prity much everythin :cool2: heres a link to the one i use http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REMOTE-KILL-S...sGames_RadioControlled_JN?hash=item25587ecabf

try rossendale models mate if they haven't got it stock they can get it quite quick mate :cool2:

i use a remote kill switch mate that runs off the third channel, failsafes are ok but they only pretect against signal loss, the kill switch kills the engine if you lose signal, tx battery or rx battery so pretects against prity much everythin :cool2: heres a link to the one i use http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REMOTE-KILL-S...sGames_RadioControlled_JN?hash=item25587ecabf

try rossendale models mate if they haven't got it stock they can get it quite quick mate :cool2:

Ok thanks a lot! Gna have a little look for the best prices. :)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks