HPI Baja brushless conversion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried the Zippy 8000mAH 30C 4S batteries in Series last weekend and they puff up a bit after use. They settle back down to normal after they cool though. I can't even seem to get more than 60% capacity out of them because the voltage drops too much during use. I have my voltage alarms set to 3.3V so I stop once the voltage dips to this under load, they settle back to around 3.8-3.85V resting. I'm thinking that the C rating isn't high enough. I have the same issues with the Zippy 40C 5800mah 4S and the Zippy 40C 6200mah 4S. I've read Zippy's are overrated in terms of capacity and C rating, should I bother to buy a set of the 60C's? From what I understand, even a slight puff under load means they're being overloaded and it's generating too much heat. I get the same results with these batteries on the Losi DBXL. They don't stay puffed after they cool, but I feel like I'm damaging them by running them this way. Also, It would be nice to get the capacity I paid for. I feel like I'm running 4000mah batteries here.

Wow! After reading you guys posts and seeing your speeds, I'd never convert to electric. I can't believe you are only getting 42mph on 8s. I thought brushless was supposed to be faster? Im getting 47mph on a stock 29cc RCMK with 18/56 gears. 19/55 and I would be over 50.

I'd definitely run gas if noise weren't an issue. I live in a heavily populated area. While there are a lot of parks around, people would definitely complain. I'll live with the short comings of an electric powered RC. The difference is I'm able to run my electric RC's several times a week only having to cross the street, whereas my friends with Nitro/Gas powered RC's collect dust at home. Electric 1/5 scale is a novelty. It's not practical at all. My 1/8th scale electrics get a lot more use. It's like my gas turbine helicopters vs. electric. Same deal.

Good luck finding a cheap version. Everything RC is offputtingly expensive. I know that in part it is because the market is so small but that can't be all there is to it. When e.g comanies repackage cheap ass 2 stroke oil and sell you 100ml at the price that would normally get you a gallon. That can't be explained by market size alone. Sorry...went off track. Had to vent.

Quick update. I had to ditch the Zippy 8000mah 4S 30C and Zippy 6200mah 4S 40C batteries in favor of something with a higher C rating. I'm quite certain now that Zippy's are overrated with regards to both C rating and capacity (mah). I got myself some Turnigy Heavy Duty 60C 5000mAH 4S batteries. What's a difference! I'm much happier now. The batteries come out after a run stone cold and I get way more runtime. C rating is everything! I'm getting more run time on my 5000mAH as compared to my 8000mAH zippy's. Figure that out. It's not that the 5000mAH has more capacity, it's that I can run them longer at a safer voltage. It holds above 3.8V/cell under load much much longer and I get the full 80% capacity use. I could only get 60% capacity max out of the zippy's before it would dip below 3.4V/cell under load. I noticed a lot of RC car guys only check resting voltages which really doesn't tell you anything. You have to make sure you're not dipping in the lower ranges of 3.0-3.2V under load, otherwise you'll both damage your batteries and obviously lose a lot of power due to the batteries not holding the higher voltage. I would recommend against using the Zippy 5800/6200 and 8000. They get hot and puff in both my Baja and Losi DBXL. There is a Zippy 5800mAH 4S 60C version, but I didn't even bother with that. I just sold them all and I'm happy I did. Turnigy HD's all the way!

Cheers for the update, sounds like your much happier with it now. I still love my brushless stuff and think a DBXL-e could be my next purchase

How you finding performance on better batteries ? normally more punch with higher C rating

Pretty much it would wheelie every single time I gave it throttle till the pack ran out. Before on the Zippy's, I could wheelie maybe once or twice and that was it. I wish I had telemetry data to show a discharge graph, but it's very noticeable. I feel like the Zippy's are more suited to some kind of on road car. It just can't deal with the loads of off road driving.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks