HPI baja is coming back baby.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Confirmed, post size on 5.9 is larger
5.9View attachment 74071
Standard
View attachment 74070
Yes it was/is an odd ball size. They supposedly fixed the first round of engines with a v2 (silver/grey heat sink) but it proved to have the same issue. The only difference I noticed besides the heat sink color was it took a much thinner o ring to seal the carb. I'm thinking the thought was the carb would sit down farther and get a better squeeze on the thinner o ring, but thats purely speculation. I gave up on it shortly after engine 2 had the same issues. Run great till the temp changed a few degrees then had to fiddle with it. Should have just bought another engine for it, I just hated the thought of going smaller and not being happy with what I ended up with. Oh well.

Yes it was/is an odd ball size. They supposedly fixed the first round of engines with a v2 (silver/grey heat sink) but it proved to have the same issue. The only difference I noticed besides the heat sink color was it took a much thinner o ring to seal the carb. I'm thinking the thought was the carb would sit down farther and get a better squeeze on the thinner o ring, but thats purely speculation. I gave up on it shortly after engine 2 had the same issues. Run great till the temp changed a few degrees then had to fiddle with it. Should have just bought another engine for it, I just hated the thought of going smaller and not being happy with what I ended up with. Oh well.
another thing that sucked about the k-star engines was that dumb one way bearing setup. It broke all the time, and they but that weird shaft (11mm) on it too. Once I could no longer find the one way bearing anywhere, I gave up on it, it was losing compression and couldnt gold a tune for it life. On the occasion it ran right (very rare), it was a beast, otherwise it was a lazy turd that couldnt even pop a wheelie. The k4.6 on the other hand was a much better engine for the savage x-ss, it preforms great and wheelies on demand with a good top speed. I have a dynamite .28 in there rn that might also need to go, bc the back plate wore out (pos only had like 3 hours in it) and the part is discontinued. Might go for the lrp .32 modded this summer, unless I can find a backplate that works, I have tried 5 and nine of them can work. The .28 I put in there was MILES better than the 5.9 though. I was expecting it to feel underpowered, however it provided a great top speed, truck was fishtailing at top speed on asphalt, and wheelies on command, even when my transmission was locked in third without me noticing, fixing the trans REALLY woke up the truck. The savage xl is a great platform (the old one, the newer flux sucks and is not nearly as durable, my uncle had one and ended up selling it, it was a total pos), I have owned it for about 7 years now and do not plan on abandoning it, only weak spots seems to be the shocks and the rear links for me, the engine let it down, but once replaced its awesome.

I went to a pull start and ditched the roto start with the last engine, thought I was chasing an air leak... I wasn't. Never had an issue with the one way bearing on either engine. Back then it got ran nearly daily. Biggest issue I have now is blowing diffs apart. Hoping I can get a new set of "blow proof" diffs they made for the flux. The stock savage diffs on 6s don't hold up very long.
I've toyed with the idea of building another savage, I'm 99% sure I have enough parts..... may be a next winter project.

I went to a pull start and ditched the roto start with the last engine, thought I was chasing an air leak... I wasn't. Never had an issue with the one way bearing on either engine. Back then it got ran nearly daily. Biggest issue I have now is blowing diffs apart. Hoping I can get a new set of "blow proof" diffs they made for the flux. The stock savage diffs on 6s don't hold up very long.
I've toyed with the idea of building another savage, I'm 99% sure I have enough parts..... may be a next winter project.
I went with roto because my pull start cracked my gas tank which is a unicorn nowadays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks