HPI quality & customer service, what gives?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmosMoses

So, just wanted to share my experience with my new Baja 5B and how HPI has handled a few problems I have had so far.
Well, I went through the usual set up and break in process of the 5B. To my disappointment within the first 3 or 4 tanks of gas the throttle servo decided to give out on me. Now keep in mind that I made sure that the endpoints and servo saver etc. were properly adjusted, and the only running I did was in big circles in my yard. No jumps or hard driving.
So I ordered an upgrade (throttle and steering) right away BUT I figured that is BS and HPI should honor their warranty. So I call and speak with Mark from HPI. All goes well, and he says they will replace it for me at no charge. Cool, right? One problem though. They don’t have any in stock. I tell him I’m not freaking out about it and to let me know when they get some in. Two weeks go by with no word from HPI so I call again. Nope, still don’t have any in stock!? Really??
It has now been a month and I’m pretty sure I’m just being blown off by HPI.:mad:
Since then my steering servo AND my clutch assembly have crapped out on me. I haven’t bothered to contact HPI since they don’t seem to care about their customers anyway.
Now, I understand the nature of the hobby and the fact that upgrading is all part of it BUT, I also feel that HPI is using inferior parts and just don’t care?
My brother bought the Redcat rampage MT and has been beating the crap out of it! Other than the steering servo that he stripped after a big air jump, He hasn’t had to replace squat!!
So, needless to say, right now I’m second guessing my decision to go with HPI thinking that the quality and service would be better. Not to mention that now my brother has something to rip on me about because I gave him some crap about not going with HPI or Losi when he ordered his Redcat! Sigh…..lousy karma!!
What say you LSF community? How has your 5B or HPI experience been? Did I just get a lemon?? Has anyone else been blown off by HPI? I am looking to purchase another 1/5 rc but this time it’s going to be a truck.
Your thoughts??

Last edited:
Sounds very much like the stories we often read about KM Bajas.
'1st things to replace are the radio gear and the servos' most seem to say.
Does this mean that HPI are rebadging KM Bajas !!!! :w00t::w00t: !!!!
I'm sure the apparently elitist Baja Forum would love that!!

On a serious note, may be worthwhile posting a similar thread on the Baja Forum and see what their members have to say.

Al.

Sounds very much like the stories we often read about KM Bajas.
'1st things to replace are the radio gear and the servos' most seem to say.
Does this mean that HPI are rebadging KM Bajas !!!! :w00t::w00t: !!!!
I'm sure the apparently elitist Baja Forum would love that!!

On a serious note, may be worthwhile posting a similar thread on the Baja Forum and see what their members have to say.

Al.

Well, if you mean HBF, LOL! I was a member of their forums for a week before I told them to go scratch!! Not the friendliest bunch over there….The members were cool, but the gestapo’s that moderate, not so much!! LMAO! Long story but after being threatened and talked to like a kid, I told them to close my account and remove my posts and contact info. One incident, I mentioned the word CLONE! Literally just used the word in the middle of a post that I was looking at them, Holly cow!!! You would have thought I ran this mods cat over with a KM buggy!!!

I ordered the Futaba 3PM-MX radio with the buggy along with some Outerwares stuff, the KillerBee kill switch, and some other stuff. I just figured that the little things LIKE SERVOS and CLUTCHES would last a little longer. HAHA!

Oh well, I’m learning. It’s just like the heli community I guess. Sooooo many frown on other manufactures but the “lesser” brands are just as good and in some cases, BETTER!

Last edited:
This Forum's well moderated by WoodiE in an understanding fashion, and its pretty friendly, unless you do/say something really .....
You'll see in some of the other sections what I mean .... and a certain 100x (different usernames) member called ASSAD!

Hope you get it sorted.
It's good information for other HPI users to know, just in case they want some customer service as well!!

Al.

Yeah, I don’t foresee me being a problem here. I always keep my post clean and try to be helpful and courteous to my fellow members, as long as there is some freedom to have honest and open discussions about other brands of RC??

I don’t want my thread to turn into or look like I’m here to bash or troll on HPI or HBF, I’m just wondering if my experience with HPI so far is the norm or if I am the exception. That’s why I asked for others to comment on their experiences.

Yea I have heard that with hpi the odd time. Weird fact is my km throttle servo still lives after more then a year's worth of abuse as a steering servo in a stampede.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks